Menu

Big Book of Lively Latin question (PDF version?)

EKT

Hi! Two things:

(1) I think we're going to go with The Big Book of Lively Latin. I'm just a little confused about the three formats available for purchase. Is the $55.00 Online PDF version the complete program, just in digital form? (I want to buy the complete program, but would much prefer to pay $55.00 and print stuff on my own instead of paying $125.00 for the hard copy, unless there is a compelling reason to go with the hard copy instead.)

(2) Can I expect my daughter to complete BB1 in one year? (It says there are 16 lessons, but I'm unclear on how long each lesson typically takes.) 

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, the PDF is the complete program. Buying it gives you access to the website where you can download all the materials, watch the video lessons, hear the audio pronunciations, and play the review games. I wouldn't want the hard copy. You will want to spend some time reading about how to set up the binder, but once you get going it makes sense.

I call each of the "lessons" a chapter. It will take my oldest about a year and a half to finish BB1 (we skip it some days; it could be done in a year).

Editing to clarify: I wouldn't want to BUY the hard copy version. I do print things out.

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 1

Yes, the PDF is the complete program. Buying it gives you access to the website where you can download all the materials, watch the video lessons, hear the audio pronunciations, and play the review games. I wouldn't want the hard copy. You will want to spend some time reading about how to set up the binder, but once you get going it makes sense.

I call each of the "lessons" a chapter. It will take my oldest about a year and a half to finish BB1 (we skip it some days; it could be done in a year).

Editing to clarify: I wouldn't want to BUY the hard copy version. I do print things out.

Thank you so much!! This is so helpful!!

Each chapter has about 16 or so pages. We usually do two sides a day, so it often takes us more than 2 weeks to complete a lesson. It would be hard to convince my students to spend more time writing oeur thinking about Latin. YMMV. We also do the "write your own Roman history book" project once or twice a chapter. Oh, and we use Anki for flashcard practice a few times a week.

We don't have any deadline, so this schedule works for us, you could easily comes if you have a willing student or a compelling deadline.

I bought the pdf version because i currently have 2 students and have a third coming along. I think it will take us 3 years to get through both levels.

• Like 1

I wrote out a schedule for my son that involved four days of working on lessons and one day a week of working on flash cards. I broke each chapter down into do-able chunks so that he wouldn't feel overwhelmed with his first year of Latin. He finished 9 chapters last year. We might finish this year early in which case we will move on to book 2. I really like this program a lot. We bought the hard copy and the CDs. We don't have a color printer so it was nice to have it all printed out. For each of the next children I'll take it to be printed.

• Like 1