Menu

Remedial Math Help?

My dd13, a rising 8th grader, is somewhat behind in math, about 2 grades. I would like to work on remediation for the next year or two, but am trying to decide which program to use. In the past, we have used primarily Saxon and Math Mammoth, as well as some Mastering Math Essentials with her. She does not like any of those programs (or I would go back to Saxon), so I am trying to find something that will work, AND that she can tolerate. She also really dislikes the looks of Teaching Textbooks. She's dyslexic, but that's another story.

Here is what I am looking at so far. Advice/feedback/suggestions more than welcome!

AGS Basic Math Skills

CLE

Maybe Lial's Basic College Math, but would that be overwhelming?

Math-U-See

Other ideas?

Edited by momto2Cs

What is it that she doens't like about TT?  It does have a small kid vibe with the dorky animations but I have to say my ds really liked getting instant feedback on whether a problem was right or not & being able to watch the video to see the problem worked out correctly really helped him. He advanced very quickly using TT

But if she's against TT for sure, then what about Chalkdust? There's Basic Math or the PreAlgebra. http://www.chalkdust.com/  My dd did very will with this program. 

The reason I'd suggest this is that I think video instruction was very helpful to my kids with LDs. 

Also, have you done placement tests? What is it that she's stumbling on? If it's multiplication tables not being memorized, skip it. Print out a times table, get the calculator out & let her move on. The tables will get memorized as she uses them. 

If it's deeper issues of confusion re place value or negative  numbers etc, then I think maybe I'd go to Ronit Bird...but I agree I'd ask on the LC board about that.