Menu

Pre-algebra/algebra question

Several years ago, a couple of my kids went from MM (5/bits of 6, old version) to AoPS Prealgebra.  I definitely favor the Prealgebra text - it's my favorite math text - and is great prep for AoPS Intro to Alg.

Certainly it's possible to go from MM7 to AoPS Intro to Alg (check the pretest of course).  In that case, I'd add the prealgebra topics from Alcumus.  But, I think in the long run it would be better to use the Prealgebra text.  Depending on your student, you might find that you want to add some basic, straightforward practice to AoPS Prealgebra and viola, it might be right there in MM.

Do you see any disadvantages to doing MM prealgebra and then AOPS Algebra? Is there anything vital in AOPS pre-algebra that you wouldn't want to miss?

I'm not familiar with the scope and sequence of MM preA, but I can say that AOPS preA was unlike any other preA I have seen and the Intro to Algebra is much more advanced (in terms of expected pre-knowledge and in terms of what it covered) that unless particular circumstances made it impossible I would only use AOPS preA before AOPS algebra.

Edited by Targhee

Thanks everyone! I think I will wait and see how long it takes her to progress to the end of MM 6 and decide if she's ready to tackle AoPS at that point.

Why would you want to do this, though? We had MM 7 and AoPS pre-algebra and they are so different. If you are planning to use AoPS anyway, I can't see any reason to not just start with pre-algebra.

We already own MM 7 so that was why I was considering it. :-)