Menu

Earning money as a SAHM?

Misha

Please forgive me - I know there have been threads on this but I can't seem to find any of them after numerous searches. 

I'd like to earn some extra income - to lighten the load on my DH, to have a little extra, to just earn money again since I haven't had a "real" job for so long now. 

What do people do to earn extra money? I make a lot of stuff, mostly organic skin care products, but I don't know how to market myself and I wonder if it would cost less to set up selling established products as opposed to my own.

I'm an introvert and can be very uncomfortable socially so I'd like to do something online that doesn't involve "parties" or selling to friends. 

If you are confident in your product (in terms of safety, effectiveness, etc.) and willing to put in a fair amount of work with the risk of not instant success, I can explain Etsy for you (to a degree - we don't sell bath products so labelling and shipping and promotion will be a bit different)

• Like 1

It depends on how much money you want to make. Are you looking for a little extra cash in the form of a side-hustle? Or do you want a steady income? Do you need cash now, or are you comfortable building up income at home over time? Think of the talents you already have that people might be willing to pay for.

I've done several different things to earn extra money and even thought of a few I haven't tried. I made a list in my post 20 Ways to Make Money Without Getting a Job.

There are loads of opportunities for someone willing to jump in and give new things a try :laugh:

• Like 1

I know some people do well with MLM or other sales. I do not. I am absolutely terrible at marketing. So, that made me focus a job outside the home.

I got a job at the Y teaching swimming. The hourly rate was low, but I got a discount on family membership and discount on classes for family members. My dc did many things during my time working there (swim team, martial arts, open gym time, etc) and I got to use the gym. If I didn't teach swimming I would have considered trying to get a front desk customer service position at the Y or a regular gym. I'd try to get a shift opening a few mornings a week, so it didn't interrupt the rest of the family schedule. 

Some people pet sit/dog walk as a family.

• Like 1