Menu

Baba ghanoush recipe?

Lady Florida.

We have an abundance of eggplant from the garden. Don't ask me why dh planted so many. I think it was to insure at least one plant would survive and produce, but they all survived and are all giving us eggplants!

Anyway, I have a number of things I want to do with it and making baba ghanoush for the first time is one of them. I was planning to use this basic recipe but thought I'd ask here too. We have people from so many different backgrounds as well as people who like to make many kinds of dishes. Do you have a family favorite? A favorite recipe you found online?

Also, has anyone ever frozen baga ghanoush?

• Like 1

That looks like a pretty standard recipe for baba ganoush.  You can play with the proportions to see what you like, more or less tahini, try roasting the garlic, etc.  I like it even better if we have been grilling and I can toss the eggplant on the cooling grill to char.

I don't know if you can freeze it. It would be worth trying a batch.  I know you can freeze hummus, I have done it many times myself. So, tahini does freeze without changing.  If I had too much eggplant that is what I would do. 

• Like 1

Getting a char on the eggplant skin is the key to great flavor IMO. Eggplants that are simply baked until soft (with no char) lack the smokey taste that make the dish sing.

Many Arabs I know will char the eggplants directly on gas burners, but this can cause some mess (don't poke first) before putting in oven. Best is to cook on a wood or real-charcoal fire.

I will sometimes add a smoked Spanish paprika if necessary.

The biggest issue is how much tahinah. I'm in the less is better  camp, but it is a matter of taste. One eggplant does not make much baba ghanoush (it cooks down). Do pick skin before roasting in the oven. Also place something to catch juices (a PITA to clean otherwise).

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 2

We always make it when we are BBQing anything.   Usually, I poke an eggplant a bunch with a fork and just put it on the grill with the lid on when we're done.

Then I take the flesh, a few cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, a glug or two of olive oil, and a spoonful of tahini and whiz it in the food processor (or use an immersion blender.)  Add in some lemon at the end....adjust seasonings....and sprinkle with chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley.

Thanks to both of you. We grilled a few eggplants and I'm going to try a small batch. I had tahini on hand from the last time I made hummus.

If you slice them open and then let them rest on a slanted drainboard in the sink (or something like that) it will allow the juices (which carry some bitterness) to drain off as the eggplants cool, an it will make the baba ghanoush taste better (for most)

Bill 

If you slice them open and then let them rest on a slanted drainboard in the sink (or something like that) it will allow the juices (which carry some bitterness) to drain off as the eggplants cool, an it will make the baba ghanoush taste better (for most)

Bill 

I did drain it but it's got a bitterness to it. I'm trying to come up with a way to fix that after the fact. Other than that, the flavor is good - if I can just get rid of the bitterness. I don't think it's the eggplant because I tasted some as I was scraping out of the skin and it didn't taste bitter then. Hmmm.

It was an experiment. I'm glad I only made a small amount.

I did drain it but it's got a bitterness to it. I'm trying to come up with a way to fix that after the fact. Other than that, the flavor is good - if I can just get rid of the bitterness. I don't think it's the eggplant because I tasted some as I was scraping out of the skin and it didn't taste bitter then. Hmmm.

It was an experiment. I'm glad I only made a small amount.

Salting before setting to drain helps if the eggplants are bitter as it draws out more juice.

Bill

Can you do this with mini eggplants or japanese eggplants and the like? Is it easy to take off the skin after charring it? We only have an oven so will it char OK?

Can you broil?

I've never tried Japanese eggplant for this purpose, but would guess the high skin to pulp ratio would make for a lot of work.

Bill