Menu

Science that can be done independently

Because, just keeping it real here, I *stink* at teaching science. 

Kiddos will be 11 and 13 (!!) this coming school year.

What I've come across so far:

BJU Science w/ DVD

Lifepac Science

Exploration Education

101 Series

Apologia (middle grades and up)

What else is there?  Is my assessment about the above resources correct?  Have you used any of the above resources?  What did you think?

• Like 1

Memoria Press offers science courses that can be done independently.  They are book and workbook-based.  My 3rd grader is working through Mammals on her own, and is learning quite a lot.  It has been an easy extra for me to add, as I just need to check her book and be available to answer questions.  It doesn't require any lessons to be taught.  I also do Nancy Larson science with everyone together, which is more hands-on and certainly NOT independent -- but we are only on Level 2 of that, and my oldest in particular is not finding it challenging.  I added Mammals so that she can work at her level.  It looks like there are plenty of similar courses available for older kids.

Edited by Squawky Acres

Ellen McHenry stuff is written directly to the student.  We think they are great!  It's not *quite* independent for my 9yo.  That is, he could theoretically read the text and do the exercises and activities on his own, but we're having more fun discussing it and playing all the games she created to go with the Elements book.  

Six months ago, he did Cells on his own, but his comprehension and retention were low, so I hope to do it again as I do think some parental involvement is a good idea.  Your kids are older, so may be able to do the Ellen McHenry stuff independently.    

The Great Courses offers science options- you might consider the Joy Of Science lectures, which correlate to the text book Science: An Integrated Approach.  This has gotten many positive reviews here as a great middle school or lower high school science that covers all the major fields in the course of a year.  It might be an option for your 13yo to get a well-rounded science base before beginning high school science.  

My 6th grader did Apologia General Science using the Virtual Homeschool Co-op at your own pace course (which wasn't necessary really, but he likes it, so whatever... and I don't have to grade tests or even remember to print them). I have him OUTLINE THE CHAPTER before he does the online stuff. If he outlines the chapter, he'll easily pass the test. If he does not outline the chapter, he'll bomb the test, as we learned that time he didn't outline the chapter. ;) I think the General Science book is a good intro to using a textbook. My son has worked on it completely independently, as well as doing the labs on his own (yay!).

We only got through 10 modules in 6th grade due to inconsistency on my part (mobile baby/toddler). We've using Wayfarers for 7th grade, and I offered to let him use the science in that, but he chose to finish up the Apologia book. I guess we'll start Physical Science after that, if he wants to stick with Apologia. That's fine with me. I like Dr. Wile's books in general.

I have successfully used Answers in Genesis for many years. I also like Memoria Press Science- we just finished Astronomy, Master Books has some wonderful looking sets for the middle school ages. I use Apologia for highschool science. Beautiful Feet also has a science through literature program. Aurora Lipper has a wonderful online and DVD science program called supercharged science and e-science. I have several of her DVD and they are very good. Aurora's DVDs include a PDF teacher manual, PDF student manual, and video of all the experiments.

• Like 1