Menu

Vet Hive - Donkey Hoof Question

Familia

Our donkey, Dewi, has a new dent in his hoof -- a small chunk taken out, about 1/3" in diameter and 1/8" deep.  Dd's books cover cracks in hoofs but this is completely different.

He shows no signs of it hurting him.

Is this a concern?  What should we look for?

We have treated and solved the lice problem -- thanks for your help=)

Thank you, barnwife!  

Not sure how it happened, dd thinks he may have stepped on his own hoof.  She was concerned about it leaving the tissue/bone underneath vulnerable.  He arrived about a month ago, and we aren't sure of his tetanus history.  Dd is giving him a dose tonight.

While we're asking, does anyone know what might cause his mane to fall out in spots?  We're wondering if we are overanalyzing this donkey, who is a pampered pet.  Most full size donkeys we hear of around here are out in someone's back pasture minding the cows and hardly seen.

Dd has many books about donkeys, and the internet is teeming with information, but, everything is so different now that the animal is really ours!  ;)

I have 4 donkeys but I'm not an expert.

Regarding his hoof, as barnwife mentioned, it's probably not serious. They kick at things with their front and back feet both, or maybe he hit a rock or something similar with it. Ours will kick at the gate if they decide we're not bringing the feed buckets fast enough.

Regarding his mane, is he with other equines? I have 4 jennets but they still have a pecking order and they sometimes have mating/mounting behavior. This often involves biting at each others' manes and pulling out patches of hair. This can happen between donkeys & horses, two jacks or two jennets, or one of each. 

As for pampering your donkey, that's what donkeys are for! They are sweet and loving creatures and very smart. My standard size jennet pulls a 2-wheeled cart and she's all kinds of fun! I hug her and she hugs back. I just adore her! Enjoy your boy!