Menu

Arrow book club for an AL?

Has anyone's AL participated in the online arrow book club through Bravewriter?  How did it go?  DS will be 10 in November, I think it's billed for 11-14 year olds, so I'm hoping he's in the sweet spot where the discussion will be at least a little "on level" with him.

Edited by someonestolemyname

We did one (can't remember if it was Boomerang or Arrow) and while my kid kind of enjoyed it I thought it was really overpriced for what it was (and we have taken other Bravewriter courses I have been very happy with). To be honest I have not bothered looking at any of the bookclub offerings since.

• Like 3

We do the arrows (for DS8), but I choose the books that are closer to his level (I buy them a la carte). The ones we have done would not work for an 11 year old accelerated kid.

Yes I'm seriously rethinking it looking at the booklist. However I'm planning on reading a lot this year, so I'm thinking an easier book a month the he can talk about with kids his age might be a nice break...

Edited by Runningmom80

We did one (can't remember if it was Boomerang or Arrow) and while my kid kind of enjoyed it I thought it was really overpriced for what it was (and we have taken other Bravewriter courses I have been very happy with). To be honest I have not bothered looking at any of the bookclub offerings since.

I would love to hear which BW classes you've been happy with! (I'm looking at kidswrite basic specifically)

Edited by Runningmom80

:iagree:   We also were underwhelmed by Boomerang, but have been very happy with other BW offerings.  Susanne Barrett in particular is a fabulous instructor (Poetry, Grammar, and Lit. Analysis of Shakespeare).  DD has also taken Middle School Writing Projects and Kidswrite Intermediate, both of which were solid courses, IMO.

• Like 1

:iagree:   We also were underwhelmed by Boomerang, but have been very happy with other BW offerings.  Susanne Barrett in particular is a fabulous instructor (Poetry, Grammar, and Lit. Analysis of Shakespeare).  DD has also taken Middle School Writing Projects and Kidswrite Intermediate, both of which were solid courses, IMO.

Ok, this kind of goes along with my initial instinct.  Thank you!

• Like 1