Menu

More students studying Latin from today's NY Times

It begins:

NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. — The Latin class at Isaac E. Young Middle School here was reading a story the other day with a familiar ring: Boy annoys girl, girl scolds boy. Only in this version, the characters were named Sextus and Cornelia, and they argued in Latin.

“I can relate, but what the heck are they saying?†said Xavier Peña, a sixth grader who started studying Latin in September.

Enrollment in Latin classes here in this Westchester County suburb has increased by nearly one-third since 2006, to 187 of the district’s 10,500 students, and the two middle schools in town are starting an ancient-cultures club in which students will explore the lives of Romans, Greeks and others....

Read more about why Latin is "cool" here.

Jane

It reminds me of a story I read a few years ago in the Parade magazine insert in most Sunday newspapers. I think it was the section entitled "Fresh Voices"---interviews with teens and young adults. The question was, "What is your strange hobby?" One girl answered, "I love to translate Latin sentences and passages and work on Latin grammar."

I clipped that article out and pinned it to our school bulletin board to remind my girls that Latin was cool!

Thanks for sharing this article! We'll get a revival of Latin going yet!