Menu

Advice for Grammar/Writing Program

Judahslamb

I´m wondering what you all might recommend for an 8.5 year old who struggles with reading and writing. We´ve moved very slowly through Primary Language Lessons (MFW) and are finishing up the 2nd-3rd grade book. HE can do the memorization and pictures studies but really struggles with the dictation and spelling (although these last two months I have seen quite a bit of improvement). We move VERY slowly through every exercise and it is a bit painful. As he is a hands on learner and likes checklists I am thinking that a workbook would be better for him but I have no idea where to start. I love the freedom of Charlotte Mason style but I want to make sure he is getting what he needs too and not hating every minute of it. Any suggestions? 

for grammar, I like IEW's The Nose Tree. works very well with my check-listy kid. Its fairly gentle, lots of repetition, and I feel like it sets the child up for success.

and they have a great return policy, so if it doesnt work for you, you can return it :)

I´m wondering what you all might recommend for an 8.5 year old who struggles with reading and writing. We´ve moved very slowly through Primary Language Lessons (MFW) and are finishing up the 2nd-3rd grade book. HE can do the memorization and pictures studies but really struggles with the dictation and spelling (although these last two months I have seen quite a bit of improvement). We move VERY slowly through every exercise and it is a bit painful. As he is a hands on learner and likes checklists I am thinking that a workbook would be better for him but I have no idea where to start. I love the freedom of Charlotte Mason style but I want to make sure he is getting what he needs too and not hating every minute of it. Any suggestions? 

I'd wait on grammar until he is reading well and comfortably. There are only eight parts of speech and some thingummies like gerunds; it won't hurt to wait to do those.

If you like CM, and he seems to do well with it, I see no reason to change.

Thanks for your response, I am very unfamilar with all of the abreviations, what would IEW be?

for grammar, I like IEW's The Nose Tree. works very well with my check-listy kid. Its fairly gentle, lots of repetition, and I feel like it sets the child up for success.

and they have a great return policy, so if it doesnt work for you, you can return it :)

Thanks for your response, I am very unfamilar with all of the abreviations, what would IEW be?

IEW= Institute for Excellence in Writing.  My son did well with Fix It! Grammar: The Nose Tree by IEW as well.