Menu

Youth Digital Fashion

Hello. My rising 8th grader is interested in the above course since she has an interest in Fashion and graphic design. She really does not have any experience with coding. Are the Youth Digital courses taken in a particular order? I do not see any pre-requisites for this course. I have emailed the company too.

Also is there actual teaching and assignments or are the kids just exploring the program. I would like her to actually learn how to use software instead of just a dress-up game (plenty of those for free on the internet :-)) 

Any thoughts/ experiences/ alternative ideas appreciated. 

Thanks. Ann. 

There is no coding involved in the class. It's more similar to learning something like Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. But, it uses a free graphics program; I forget which one.

My DD started this but then she learned Illustrator and preferred it instead. It looked like a great fit for her, but she felt it was too limited in scope with what she wanted to do with software.

Edited by deerforest
  • Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to write back with your experience. This is exactly what I am trying to decide. I think we will start with Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop through lynda.com (our library has a subscription so it is free) and proceed from there.  Appreciate all your help. Ann

DD wanted to do this one last year, but I contacted YouthDigital to ask them what the final product was because DD wanted to be able to produce patterns from her designs and actually construct the clothes. Nope. It is completely a software experience. That killed her interest fast. It didn't make much sense to me either, but they did say they would pass on our feedback.

I did get DD a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, which is $21.34/month including tax. It has been awesome for her to have all those programs at her disposal. She is getting really good with them!