Menu

Latin Memory Work

AmberWolg

I need help..... What Latin memory work is best to start on. I'm not ready for an actual read & write curriculum, but am interested in strictly memorizing vocab at this stage.

Help me come up with ideas as to where to start, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would make the suggestion that you focus on memorizing the endings of all conjugations and declensions over vocabulary.

Set them to a catchy tune and your kids will be set. I think YouTube has some already done.

My kids learned all their endings when they were 4 and 6 years old. They had no idea what they were memorizing. When we started a formal Latin program when they got older, they breezed through conjugating verbs and declining nouns.

If you want to add in vocabulary, maybe start with common Latin roots. My kids also enjoyed learning fun sayings like, Carpe Diem and Veni, Vidi, Vici!

• Like 2

This is the advice I've taken on Latin vocabulary.  https://archive.org/stream/fortnightlyrevie4041unse#page/132/mode/2up

I also printed the SSL coloring pages 6 to a page of card stock to create flash cards (free on their site) and use for games.  I feel like that is enough for now.  Once Robby is reading more fluently I will probably start Prima Latina.  I already own this from when I was homeschooling my sister.

• Like 1

I also printed the SSL coloring pages 6 to a page of card stock to create flash cards (free on their site) and use for games. I feel like that is enough for now. Once Robby is reading more fluently I will probably start Prima Latina. I already own this from when I was homeschooling my sister.

Love those coloring pages as flash cards. GREAT idea!!

Edited by AmberWolg

We also did the memory work for Latin in CC and I think it is very helpful.  If you are looking for nouns to start with this is my FAVORITE public domain book for that.  Tons of examples for the newbie.  

If you are interested in starting to try and read stories in Latin you could check out the Olim stories in Latin.  If you want more of a challenge you can try these interlinear fables.  This is probably too much - but who knows maybe just memorizing a few fables could go a long way!  If you want to read the Bible interlinearly -here is a resource for that as well.  

Here is another public domain book that starts with two word sentences and goes from there.  The interlinear translations begin on page 67.  I had forgotten about this one.  You could easily add a "phrase a day" type of thing and cover a lot of territory without too much difficulty.  This might be our solution for next year. 

Elementary Latin by Smith is another public domain option.  It is a high school text but her appendix (starts on pg. 275) has great ideas for ways to teach Latin, popular Latin quotations, all the state mottoes in Latin, an outline of what vocabulary you should teach first and second semester, and a good list of English derivatives from Latin.  She has a great plan for teaching students derivatives - this is something you might be able to do orally at this point. Her ideas could be translated into oral exercises (at least some of them) pretty easily.  

I imagine you are familiar with I Speak Latin which is a TPRS approach to Latin.  

CAP also has FREE printable declension and conjugation pages along with vocabulary cards that might be helpful and could be used a variety of ways.  Check the tab that says resources. 

If you are REALLY crazy you could work on memorizing the tables of personal pronouns, etc.  They are hard and will probably work better through reading BUT . . . that is what is covered in English in CC this year so you could line that up if you wanted to try.  

There are lots of options out there.  I think I just need to pick one and go with it.  Thanks for helping me review what I have gathered. 

Edited by TX Pilgrim
  • Like 1

It's out of print, but there is an Usborne First Thousand Words in Latin book.  Some of the words are pretty silly (like words for modern things like airplane or washing machine), but many are regular Latin words.    

Prima Latina & Latina Christiana have some grammar, but focus on vocabulary as well.  We did PL without any writing.  I'd write the words on the board for them to see spelled out, but we focused on memorizing the words.

Edited by Holly
  • Like 1