Menu

Powdered Dairy? Would you? Do you?

Ya know those pancake mixes that say just add water? and those cookies in a jar things you can give as gifts? Well I looked into making pancake mix so I don't buy it and so its easier for ds to just add water and make them.

My options are to make the mix he has to add milk, eggs & oil to OR buy powered dairy. They now have available for such recipes, powdered milk, eggs, cheese & butter.

I'm thinking now for regular kitchen baking & cooking (not so much milk to drink) that with the crazy economy, gas & oil prices, farmers possibility having loan problems & whatever else is going on that milk, cheese, eggs & butter are going to continue to rise in price. So..

Could it possibility be a good idea to invest a little & try the powdered products? It’s a big question to me b/c I can't find them locally & have to order them online. I've only been able to find them in gallon containers for about $45ea.. I'm thinking just replacing the mixes I buy (blueberry, pancake, cake, etc) with the powdered would save me money over the course of the year.

Whats the hives thoughts on this? And furthur more.. where can I find these items locally?

Well, I don't know about the other items (powdered eggs, cheese), but powdered milk *should* be available at just about any grocery store. Have you asked about powdered milk or instant milk? It might be with baking supplies or near coffee, tea and cocoa...

Baking mixes aren't really a part of our usual grocery buying, so I'm afraid I can't help with the rest.

I made a pancake mix using my usual recipe and powdered milk. I still have to add eggs, oil and water.

I was on a roll, so I decided to make mixes for other recipes too. I went to the store to buy a large box of powdered milk. One of the two grocery stores in my town carries it, but the cost of powdered milk is nearly the same as that of bottled milk -- the difference was mere pennies per gallon!

I didn't buy it because my original plan was to use it to save money. Using powdered milk won't save time because it takes just as long to add water to the mix as it does to add liquid milk to it.

It is handy to have a small box of powdered milk in the house so I can make pancakes when I've run out of milk. I originally bought it to make dog biscuits (which the dog refused to eat), and I was glad to have it on hand when I needed it. No one noticed a taste difference in the pancakes, which I figured they wouldn't, due to the syrup.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

I made a pancake mix using my usual recipe and powdered milk. I still have to add eggs, oil and water.

I was on a roll, so I decided to make mixes for other recipes too. I went to the store to buy a large box of powdered milk. One of the two grocery stores in my town carries it, but the cost of powdered milk is nearly the same as that of bottled milk -- the difference was mere pennies per gallon!

I didn't buy it because my original plan was to use it to save money. Using powdered milk won't save time because it takes just as long to add water to the mix as it does to add liquid milk to it.

It is handy to have a small box of powdered milk in the house so I can make pancakes when I've run out of milk. I originally bought it to make dog biscuits (which the dog refused to eat), and I was glad to have it on hand when I needed it. No one noticed a taste difference in the pancakes, which I figured they wouldn't, due to the syrup.

RC

Yes my store carries powdered milk. I noticed the same thing regarding prices on the powdered milk. I haven't looked close enough yet but I'm thinking (anyone?) that a large box, being the same price as a gallon of milk would have to make MORE then a gallon to be worth it?!?!?!

Yes my store carries powdered milk. I noticed the same thing regarding prices on the powdered milk. I haven't looked close enough yet but I'm thinking (anyone?) that a large box, being the same price as a gallon of milk would have to make MORE then a gallon to be worth it?!?!?!

The large box here costs $17.88. I can't recall how many gallons of milk it made, but when I multiplied those gallons by the price of a gallon of liquid milk, the cost was nearly equal.

ETA: I took out my calculator and figured it out. $17.88/$3.79 (cost of a gallon of white milk) = 4.71 gallons. So, rounding up, the box must have made 5 gallons of milk and would have saved me 20 cents a gallon. I was looking for greater savings than that.

I don't recall the brand name of the milk powder. I did wonder if it was made from U.S. milk, or imported from China. I sent the manufacturer of the Carnation brand an email to find out.

Here is Carnation brand at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Carnation-Instant-Nonfat-Milk/dp/B001AYAA46

It would cost me $125.07 to buy fresh milk in the same quantity as 6 boxes of powdered milk would cost ($115.95), and I wouldn't have to pay postage.

Edited by RoughCollie

I keep a large box of powdered milk in the pantry for the occasional bread recipe that calls for it, and for emergency situations like the one we had a few days ago: the boys wanted to make homemade pudding and we were out of milk. Neither dh nor I felt like running out to the store, so the boys used the powdered milk to great success.

Powdered milk is expensive...no great savings there. It's nice to have in a pinch, though.

Ria

I keep a large box of powdered milk in the pantry for the occasional bread recipe that calls for it, and for emergency situations like the one we had a few days ago: the boys wanted to make homemade pudding and we were out of milk. Neither dh nor I felt like running out to the store, so the boys used the powdered milk to great success.

Powdered milk is expensive...no great savings there. It's nice to have in a pinch, though.

Ria

I''m with roughcollie, I"m looking to save money on the deal. However, thinking of baking & pudding, I can see having it on hand. Theres been many times I've needed only a 1 cup of milk & been out!

Now what about powdered eggs & cheese?

I read a recipe that you can CAN butter & lasts up to 3 years. I guess Xmas would be the time to buy extra (goes on sale then!)

but I make my own baking mix w/ powdered milk and then, when using it, I add milk as well. I find it has a richer flavor, and it is a way to get some extra calcium into my kids (who don't drink enough on their own). Also do the same thing w/ mashed potatoes, makes them taste richer.

I paid like $12 for the huge box at Sam's Club.

We never have milk on hand - the kids are allergic, but i can bake with it. Having the powdered around has been nice.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=201966

Looks like it's gone up a dollar since i bought it 2 months ago. Way cheaper than what i just found it at at Amazon.

Emergency Essentials has an online store as well as catalogs. They have powdered milk, eggs, cheese, butter, margarine, buttermilk, sourcream, and even peanut butter in #10 cans. I think all these items are under $20 a can, some under 10. They also have all sorts of meats, cheeses, fruits and veggies. The fruits are awesome as snacks and could also be added to pancake and muffin mixes, for instance blueberry muffins. Oh, almost forgot, they also have chocolate and strawberry milk mixes, these can almost be whipped into a cool whip type topping.

My sister gave me a large pkg of powdered egg. I have no idea how to use it (or if I will like it). I already make my own pancake mix and add water and oil and eggs at the end - could I use powdered eggs - just mix them in at the right ratio with the mix? WOuld they cook up the same?

TIA-

Lisaj

I wouldn't use soy flour for my guys on a regular basis either, but I do keep soy flour on hand for those rare times we're out of eggs or for once-a-week recipes or something.

ditto w/ the powdered milk --for us, it just hasn't been worth it to use daily, altho it's great for emergency uses and camping :D

Sara...

It is my understanding I shouldn't be giving my boys or 5 yr old daughter soy on a regular basis. Did I hear this wrong?

There's controversy about it. I avoid it too, because when I drank soy milk I noticed that it messed with my cycle, and with my breast cancer history I don't want to mess with any potential hormone effects. But a tablespoon of soy flour in a pancake mix is a very small quantity, much less than drinking soy milk every day or giving soy formula to an infant. I don't worry about it in this case.

I substitute water for any recipe, like muffins or pancakes, that call for milk. In my case, it is due to a milk allergy rather than a desire to be thrifty. Saving money is just a side benefit. :)

I've done it for years with great results. One note, if the recipe calls for sour milk or buttermilk, I add a tbsp. of vinegar to the water. (Of course this won't work for pudding or other products where milk is the key ingredient.)

Just another idea,

Cathy