Menu

Cheapest Source for Right Start-Compatible Abacus?

I can't remember where I originally bought my abacus since it's been at least 9 years. I want to buy a second one for my youngest daughter's PS classroom since it really seems to be helping her with her homework.

Overall I think the school is doing a better job with her than I'd be able to at home given my other 2 kids and my college coursework. However, they're using an awful Common Core math program that is WAAAAAY too abstract for her. She gets the concept of "making 10" when using the RS abacus as a manipulative. She's on an Individual Education Plan so I think I can get use of the abacus incorporated into it as an accommodation, but that's more likely to happen if I provide the abacus.

There's also an iOS app for $1.99 if that would be easier. http://rightstartmath.com/our-curriculum/al-abacus-app/

My kids are in Pre-Algebra and Geometry (my oldest just started Geometry, my youngest just started Pre-Algebra, ignore the signature.) I have tutoring students, but none that need math help. So why do I feel strangely compelled to by an abacus app??? Sounds cool...

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

My kids are in Pre-Algebra and Geometry (my oldest just started Geometry, my youngest just started Pre-Algebra, ignore the signature.) I have tutoring students, but none that need math help. So why do I feel strangely compelled to by an abacus app??? Sounds cool...

I totally understand you :)

I bought the app even though we have the real deal abacus. it is cool. and it makes a nice clickity sound when you slide the beads. very sensitive to flipping over though, is my only complaint. its fun to play with (my kids dont even use it, I do)

• Like 1