Menu

Progymnasta, and also, Rhetoric

Any opinions?

I am wondering if I should have used this style of teaching writing. It seems as if my oldest (14 yrs old) is a bit old to start. But I could still use this style with my younger ones.

Now this is odd. I have these two friends that are English Professors. The one tells me he never studied rhetoric but now, the state universities use it so the first time he had to use it was after he started teaching at the state U. He has always gone to private and well ranked universities. I really do not know what to think of this.

But oddly, I am enjoying reading things like Plato. And it makes me feel a little like perhaps, I should be teaching rhetoric?

We use it. My kids have really liked it and I see that it has developed their writing and thinking skills.  My kids have used Memoria Press as that suites us pretty well.  The further along we get in the progym the more they like it.  It's interesting to note which exercises they prefer over others.  One of my children really gets a kick out of it and enjoys the arguments and seeing how creative he can get within the parameters of the particular stage they are on.  My oldest went on to a local traditional english/comp class in 10th grade and she was over prepared for it.  I had been nervous about that as progym is a bit different.  I honestly would love for her to go back to it.  My 2nd will be doing a local traditional style english class next year (9th) and I'm curious about how it will shake out.  It seems to develop a writing discipline but allow for creativity within that context.  I feel like they have really traveled forward with their writing skills step by step.

• Like 1

We're starting with MP's Classical Composition next year.  You can cover 2 books per year with older DC, and I think their online classes cover 4 books per year!  They also have rhetoric, which I plan on covering at some point.  My oldest will turn 14 this summer, and I plan on having her work through as many of these levels as she can get through before graduation.  

My SIL is an English professor, her PhD is Rhetoric :)

I first learned about the progymnasmata through her, when my kids were still in diapers, and was intrigued. When I came across it again during our homeschool years, I was sold on it. Unfortunately, Classical Writing was the most accessible option for us and not at all conducive to my job (which required weekly travel). So my olders all got in on the action late in the game - 8th grade or higher - as soon as I retired. By this time, MP was producing Classical Composition - which is what we use(d), at their suggested accelerated rate. It's not too late for your 14 year old!

My youngest started this year. We're using Writing & Rhetoric for now and will transition into MP at some point - maybe middle school - when she outpaces the production of W&R.

I did take Rhetoric in school, but it was more in the Speech/Debate realm than in the writing one. I think Rhetoric is a fabulous life skill, and one that will be a great tool for any one in any life situation. The art of effective communication is under-taught IMO; getting any of those skills (read: starting late) is better than getting none!

• Like 1