Menu

IEW SWI A Questions

Hi Everyone,

I am considering using IEW SWI A with my rising 4th grader next year.    (I am trying to decide between that and ELTL 4.  Two very different methods...I know!)

My question for you is this:

What was your daily/weekly routine like when you used IEW SWI A?   Did the suggested schedule work that I see in the sample, or did you have to tweak it?

How much parent participation is required per day?

Do I *need* the teacher's dvds---or can I pick up on what needs to be taught in the student videos?   

The student videos do not cover as much as the teacher videos or in as much depth but you can certainly work through the program without the teacher videos.  Many do.  It depends on how much hand holding you need, I guess.  Are you good at teaching writing?

With a 4th grader I would think you would still definitely need to be involved daily with your student learning to write but as to how much each day I think that would depend on how independent your child is and if they have any learning challenges or gifts.  The DVDs will teach but you need to facilitate/encourage/give feedback.

• Like 1

You don't need the whole TWSS to use the SWI.

I agree you do need to work through the program daily with your child. Watch the segment and work through the first sample together. Next day, let your child try alone but be there to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the time commitment per day that we would need to set aside?   60 minutes?   

If you aren't watching the video portion I would say that 60 minutes is more than sufficient to work on the rest.  

Having the TWSS is nice because I can go and view the teacher training if I want more info on what's going on in the SWI, but it's certainly not needed and you'll be fine without it. 

This may help...

http://iew.com/sites/default/files/videocourse/fileattachment/SWI-A_Sample.pdf

Keep in mind that SWI doesn't really explain the why behind a lot of what is being done (that is more a part of TWSS) so if you get confused or frustrated by the structure/reasoning behind the program you might need to ask someone who has TWSS for some assistance.  SWI will still will provide helpful instruction to the student regarding the lesson.

The time commitments also depend on if you are doing it as a one year program or a two year program.  We did it as a one year program.  I would say that some days it took an hour some it took 15 minutes, it would depend on what was being asked that day. The video segments range in length and we would not always start the assignment that day.  It is also going to vary with the child involved.  Some will take longer to write others will go quicker.  You kind of need to play it by ear when you first start.

• Like 1