Menu

Spelling

mamamoose

My 10 year old is a very good speller, and we really haven't done a spelling program since we started homeschooling. However, her spelling confidence has dropped and she makes more mistakes so i think it might be helpful to have something more formal. Any suggestions?

You could keep a personalized spelling notebook.  

Step 1:  Keep a running list of any words that she misspells in her writing or schoolwork.   

Step 2:  Study the words. Analyze the words with her.   Re-write them breaking them into syllables.   Identify the base words if applicable.  Underline any vowel teams or phonograms.  Discuss applicable spelling rules.  (Example: "why is a ck used at the end of this word instead of a k?"  Why did we change the y to an i in this word?"  "Why do we have a silent e at the end of this word?" etc.)   If you notice patterns or weak areas, review those phonics rules with her.

Step 4:   Once you get a running list of about 12 words or so, give her a short quiz to see how she does.   Any words that she misses should go back on the next spelling list and re-practiced until they are mastered.   Occasionally, put the words into sentences and dictate sentences to give her an added challenge.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 1

We reviewed word families and the major spelling  at that age.  You can make your our test on Spelling City and it will make games for you out of the lists you provide.  Lots of fun just to reinforce and build confidence.