Menu

LOE foundations question

lulalu

If I purchase A and B of foundations do I also need to buy the handwritting book too? Or is all handwriting included in A and B?

Also have people found LOE to be worth the investment, or is it just as worthwhile to purchase the game book to add to another program (thinking RLTL)?

The Foundations lesson books include handwriting. It even has reproducible handwriting pages in a variety of sizes. You'll need a dry-erase board, but that's cheaper at the dollar store.

We are starting this upcoming year, so no reviews yet but just from looking through it I am impressed w/ the quality & it is VERY straight-forward / open-and-go.

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli

LOE is worth the investment if you want everything written out for you with lots of games and fun.  LOE is colorful and straightforward.  Some people don't need all the hand-holding of LOE; others do.

You do not need the handwriting book.  Handwriting is fully integrated into foundations.

We have gone through all of Foundations and are currently finishing up D.  In my opinion, it's definitely worth the price tag.  And for the next kid, all I need to buy is the workbooks at each level, so it definitely retains it's value (or you could slide a page protector over the sheet in which you're working and use dry erase and reuse the workbook! (especially at the A & B levels)).  Also, Rainbow Resource used to sell LOE and they may still have some inventory in stock, they're just not allowed to advertise it, so it may be worthwhile to give them a call to see what they have to save a few bucks. 

Ok. Thank you. I really like the looks of LOE with all the games and activity. My little one really needs movement which I think will be well met with LOE.

Will I need anything other than the student and teacher book?

Yes, I agree with lorisuewho - the game cards, the phonogram cards - that's it, I think.  I got a whiteboard at Target in the $1 section at Back to School time (bought something like 4) and just used a sharpie to make one set of big lines on the blank side to practice/learn the strokes.  They slowly get erased by the dry erase pen, so occasionally you need to re-draw those, but I think that's all we used.  The games are what really make the program stand out.  I have super wiggly little ones and they don't even know they're learning anything when we play the games!  It's the best!

We're LOE veterans, both Foundations and Essentials. I'm a big believer in the program, and have found it works well with my children. I would encourage buying the phonogram cards for games, and we use the spelling rule and grammar cards, but YMMV on those. 

I bought the game cards with my second student, but very happily used just the student and teacher book (and homemade flash cards on index cards) with my first. He wasn't a card game kid. Well worth the price, as a program. We LOVE it. I have the game book too, but I'm not sure how much sense it would make outside the program itself. And honestly all the games in the gamebook are already in Foundations. I can only assume it's meant for Essentials students?