Menu

What grade do you start US geography?

I plan to do it in modern history or year 4 or 4th grade. I am not sure exactly what I will use for a text book/plan but I will be using some photographs that I have of my travels (I have about 8 states that I have yet to visit). I think we may also plan some road trips as in the east, you can hit many states without really going far. 

We did it alongside a year of early(ish) US history in 2nd grade. Then we did a longer world and US geography unit in 6th grade.

I don't think there's a right or wrong time or way. Do what works for you. Or just have them do map drills on Sheppard Software once a week and let it be otherwise incorporated into a history rotation. Like I said, no right or wrong way...

• Like 1

It varies. Somewhat as-needed or as applicable to history. My fifth grader, for instance, learned some about Texas when he learned about Davy Crockett and the Alamo. They like Stack the States and Sheppard Software too.

This year, we have been doing a mash-up of Trail Guide to US Geography and 50 States and Where to Find Them that I created, and it's been great. My oldest already knows her state capitals and has a good idea of general US geography from history and such; she does the in depth map assignments and enjoys the tidbits of interesting facts about state mottoes, state novelties, etc. My fifth grader does shorter map assignments and is learning the capitals. My first grader might have picked up a few capitals, but he (and his small brothers) has learned a ton about geographical terms, and they have liked the Holling books.