Menu

Article on weight loss & metabolism

Katy

So I don't know if there was drama or what, but I don't see that thread on the article in the Times about The Biggest Loser & permanent metabolism damage any more.  I read this article yesterday and couldn't wait to come post it.  Basically this doctor just came out with a book advocating intermittent fasting as a cure for type 2 diabetes, and says it raises metabolism instead of lowering it the way "Eat less, exercise more" type plans do.  I bought the book, but I haven't read much of it yet.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/

• Like 2

Here's a link to that other thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/605902-ny-times-why-it-is-hard-to-lose-weight-and-keep-it-off-after-the-biggest-loser/

I haven't looked at your link (yet), but intermittent fasting is what I'm leaning toward recommending for hubby to take off pounds.  IMO it shows the best promise of sustainability without being forever hungry.

• Like 1

Good article!

Unfortunately for me, neither intermittent fasting nor ketogenic are options.  I have hypoglycemia, and I crash and burn if I don't eat every few hours.  And I ate ketogenic for more than ten years.  Loved, loved, loved it . . . until I didn't.  I started having hormone problems, and a friend pointed me to some information showing that while ketogenic works very well for men and children, not always so great for women.  

So I think my only dietary option is frequent protein-based, carb and fat balanced meals, something along the lines of the Zone.  I'm trying to eat really clean, with NO refined flours or sugars, MSG, industrial oils, etc.  Minimum of five servings of fruits and veggies every day. I think that's the best I can do.

And I'm trying to increase my "calories out" by putting on some muscle!

• Like 2

Good article!

Unfortunately for me, neither intermittent fasting nor ketogenic are options.  I have hypoglycemia, and I crash and burn if I don't eat every few hours.  And I ate ketogenic for more than ten years.  Loved, loved, loved it . . . until I didn't.  I started having hormone problems, and a friend pointed me to some information showing that while ketogenic works very well for men and children, not always so great for women.  

So I think my only dietary option is frequent protein-based, carb and fat balanced meals, something along the lines of the Zone.  I'm trying to eat really clean, with NO refined flours or sugars, MSG, industrial oils, etc.  Minimum of five servings of fruits and veggies every day. I think that's the best I can do.

And I'm trying to increase my "calories out" by putting on some muscle!

Couldn't exactly "like" this, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  I was hypoglycemic when I was young, and menopause has brought it back.  I tried really hard to cut out snacks until I started using the meter and realized how low my blood sugar was getting.  I was hating myself for getting hungry, but it's just the way my body works.  I had to start eating every two hours to get things settled (and drinking OJ during the night a couple of times).  Now I'm focused on eating every three hours, but keeping the meals and snacks small.  The doc said I would start losing weight once I stopped mistreating my body, and he seems to be right.

• Like 1

Couldn't exactly "like" this, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  I was hypoglycemic when I was young, and menopause has brought it back.  I tried really hard to cut out snacks until I started using the meter and realized how low my blood sugar was getting.  I was hating myself for getting hungry, but it's just the way my body works.  I had to start eating every two hours to get things settled (and drinking OJ during the night a couple of times).  Now I'm focused on eating every three hours, but keeping the meals and snacks small.  The doc said I would start losing weight once I stopped mistreating my body, and he seems to be right.

I'm sorry you have this to deal with too, and in fact yours sounds worse than mine.  I'm able to get through the night just fine.  I don't have much of an appetite for breakfast (I like breakfast foods, I'm just not hungry first thing in the morning), but I've learned I have to force myself to eat anyway.  I've also found that lots of protein can help me stretch the distance between meals a bit.  Still less time than most people can go between meals, but it helps!