Menu

Help me decide what to do about math

So dd is currently 4 years old and will turn 5 the very end of August.  She had expressed strongly about having her own "school" work like her older brother and sister.  We have tons of math manipulatives I bring out all the time and we play with, but she also wanted a workbook (like her older siblings).   I picked up (for free) Horizons K math book (1st book only), and she's been working on that and is about half way finished.  I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for next year.  I know my plan is to move on over to CLE for math, but they don't start with their math until first grade.  I considered starting her on CLE 1st but just going very slowly (maybe finishing 3-4 light units throughout the school year).  I have been looking at other math curriculum for kinder, but am having a hard time with anything :/  Many math kinder curriculum look like they would be way too easy for her, especially since she's been working on Horizon K already. So...suggestions??  Should I start her on CLE 1st and go slow?  Go with another math curriculum? If so, what would you recommend that would be appropriate for her for where she's at?

Edited by avazquez24

I would either continue with Horizons K second book or go on to CLE first if that is what you want to use and she is ready for it. However, if Horizons is working for both of you, maybe you would want to stick with it. But if she has already finished a kindergarten math and wants to continue, I wouldn't try to put her in another kindergarten math that is too easy. Keep progressing her as slowly or fast as she is able.

One other option is to try some Kumon workbooks that she can progress through until you are ready to start her with CLE. This way, she will have a head start in getting her facts down, and they are inexpensive and mostly independent.

I think you'd be fine with either continuing with Horizons or moving over to CLE, as long as she can handle the amount of writing in whichever program you go with. (CLE 1st grade could be a lot for a K-er.) It sounds like she's a workbook-y kind of kid, but if she starts to get burnt out on the quantity of writing, definitely cut back or do the pages orally instead. 

Certainly try CLE and see how it goes.  She doesn't have to do a full lesson every day, just adjust it to two days if necessary.  OTOH, she might do so well with it that you can skip over sections that you know she already knows.  I've had all three of my DC skip whole light units because it does become rather redundant at times, and I want to keep them moving forward.

I agree--do CLE slowly but do NOT skip sections! That is one of the strengths of the course and will hurt her later on. Ask me how I know....

Was there a problem with Horizons?? I didn't see why you're switching in the first place. I'm a huge fan of not fixing things that are not broken. If Horizons is going well I'd just get the second book.

Edited by SilverMoon

I would also say to get the next book of Horizons or go ahead and start with the CLE just going slowly if that's your long term plan. Another idea might be to start using math living books and just print her some random math worksheets to go with it if she'd like. We use MEP here and love it but if you already have a curriculum picked out I don't see a reason to change. 

I'm just not a fan of Horizons honestly.  I used it with YDD in Kinder and didn't plan on using it again for any of the kids.  We happened to be at our homeschool book store to pick up a cheap math workbook (Since she wanted her own "school book") and they had the Horizons book 1 for free (as a few pages were used). So, I figured I'd just get that for her to use for now.  I have curriculum hopped enough with the other two with math (unfortunately) to finally use CLE math and realize it was a great fit for us and I loved it :)

Was there a problem with Horizons?? I didn't see why you're switching in the first place. I'm a huge fan of not fixing things that are not broken. If Horizons is going well I'd just get the second book.

Thanks for the input everyone!! I think I'll order CLE and we'll try going through them slowly and at her pace.  All else fails, I'll stick them in the cupboard for later and use some Kumon books or take a break until she's ready for CLE :)