Menu

chores organizers

I was hoping to see more replies here since this is a weak area for me. They have daily chores but I have to tell them a zillion times to do them. I was putting them on a dry erase board and they'd come check it off (which was way better) but I don't have the spare time to write it out anymore.

I keep eyeing Accountable Kids. I just wish it was a little cheaper.

I was hoping to see more replies here since this is a weak area for me. They have daily chores but I have to tell them a zillion times to do them. I was putting them on a dry erase board and they'd come check it off (which was way better) but I don't have the spare time to write it out anymore.

I keep eyeing Accountable Kids. I just wish it was a little cheaper.

I don't have a tried-and-true method of organizing them yet because my children are so young they don't have very many chores but they don't eat until their chores are done. We don't argue about chores here.

OP, I loved The Everyday Family Chore System and plan to implement it soon. My kids are only five and three so their chores are currently minimal.

http://www.everydayhomemaking.com/books-and-media/chore.html

• Like 1

I use Accountable Kids, and it is great, with a few exceptions.  The hardest thing for us is getting them to consistently look at the board throughout the day.  I've found it's best for us if all the Morning cards can be done in one big lump, all the afternoon cards are centered around lunch, all the evening ones around dinner.  Otherwise they tend to forget throughout the day that they were supposed to check.

The kids can change the cards on you, lol, and once they realize this you have to be a bit sharper on it.  Also, being clear about what chores are paid with tickets, and which ones are Bonus Buck ones and how often they get bonus bucks (if you use bonus bucks).  If your kiddo loves to do their laundry, you have to set expectations that it IS a bonus buck but they can do it only 1 time a week, or whatever your schedule is.  

My other problem is remembering to reset the cards at night, especially between days where the schedule varies.  So the kids go the board in the morning and either start doing the wrong day ("get dressed, make bed, set table, plant care" instead of "make bed, plant care, take bath" or whatever) OR they just don't do anything because the cards are wrong and they are confused.  So, if your schedule changes a lot and you don't have a typical day, I would suggest either making different packs of cards (costs $ though) so you don't have to resort them every night, or make your basic schedule always the same and only move a few cards around as necessary.  

But, we have stuck with this for almost 2 years now and I am very happy with it overall.  

• Like 1