Menu

Dr. Hive: Allergic reaction or something else?

ErinE

Tonight we had a meal containing more spices than we usually eat (not hot, just more flavor): cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, mustard, garlic, and onion. My daughter had several bites when she began scratching her neck because her 'throat was itchy'. She was also rubbing her eyes and her cheeks were flushed. I had her spit out the food and drink water. I monitored her closely and after several minutes the redness died down and she was fine. DH fixed her something else for dinner.

The food was prepared at home so I know she has eaten the spices before, just not in the quantities served. She did spend all day outside so she might have been a little dehydrated, but no one else reacted this way. Could she have had a mild allergic reaction? Would too much of a spice she's had before cause a reaction?

Obviously,it could be she is developing an allergy to something...but this sounds just like what happens to myself and my daughter with oral allergy syndrome.

Basically, when your body is overtaxed by seasonal allergies to pollen, eating foods in the same pollen group trigger a more serious immune response. It is why I can normally eat say avocados, but at times they make my mouth swell up and itch:(

• Like 4

It's pollen season. Does she have seasonal allergie? I thought if OAS, too. If you haven't already - check pollen.com to see your pollen levels and the prominent allergens today. Then see if they cross react with any of the foods that you served. Our OAS is always worse during pollen season.

Some spices are allergenic in high enough concentration.

Diphenhydramine - benadryl, is good to have on hand.

Eugenol is used in emergency otc dental cement. Only one brand mentioned it as potentially allergenic. It's made from oil of cloves. I learned the hard way I was allergic to it. I was downing benadryl so I could breath.