Menu

2016-2017 5th Grade Planning Board

omnifox1

Hello!! I would love to see what you all have in the works for this upcoming year for your 5th Graders!! I have yet to see a thread for this particular grade. Spam me what you all are planning! :) I need ideas!

Edited by omnifox1

Here's what's brewing for next year for my 5th grader:

CLE 400 Math

Memoria Press:

Famous Men of Rome

(Will probably add some readers, from the library, that correspond with Rome. This will be fun, free reading. No analysis.)

The Book of Insects (this will be our science)

Geography I

5th grade Literature pack

Catholic Heritage Curricula:

Little Latin Readers - we'll start with the Primers and see how far we get.(might start this for the summer)

Map Skills E (maybe, we'll already be doing geography, so this would most likely be overkill)

Sewing with St. Anne (maybe)

Art with a Purpose: Artpac 5

English Grammar Revolution (might do this over the summer with all the children)

EIW - Essentials in Writing 6 (maybe)

Megawords (maybe)

CLP - Studying God's Word F

As you can see we're using things from a variety of publishers. We are Protestant, but I really enjoy a lot of the Catholic curricula.

The current plan for my upcoming 5th grader (subject to change):

Math: Singapore PM 4B/5A

LA: AAS 4, ELTL 3, W&R Narrative I & II

World History: The World's Story, first half, with supplemental literature (TBD)

American History: From Sea to Shining Sea, first half, with supplemental literature (TBD)

Science: Harcourt Grade 6, half of the book, with supplemental labs (TBD)

Latin: Prima Latina?

Religion: Baltimore Catechism No 1 (last 1/3), Bible History (part 1), 57 Stories of Saints (part 1), St. Patrick's Summer

Tentatively:

Math: Beast Academy 5C and 5D, maybe starting AoPS Pre-Algebra

Language Arts: finishing FLL4 (and then I don't know what we'll do for grammar, maybe Hake), WWE4, finishing AAS4 and starting AAS5

Spanish: Rosetta Stone, maybe a tutor if I can scrounge up the money

Fine Arts: Suzuki Piano, Harmony Fine Arts Grade 5

History: SotW 1, supplementing with Joy Hakim's The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way

Science: Ellen McHenry's Protozoa, Botany, Cells, and The Brain

Geography: Draw Europe

Thank you so much ladies!! I appreciate the ideas.

So far:

Math: Saxon 6/5

History: Early Modern Logic Stage (mix between Hist Ody Early Modern level 2 and pulling book lists from Veritas Press, BFB, and TWTM)

Geography: Trail Guide to US Geography and Draw the USA

Science: Biology Logic Stage (Elemental Science Bio Logic Stage and Real Science Odyssey Bio level 2)

Reading: Literature selection from Veritas press, Memoria Press, TWTM, and possibly Heart of Dakota to go with Early Modern History and 5th grade level general lit books.

Writing: IEW (Student Writing Intensive-A and US History-Based vol 1), Easy Grammar, WWE, possible copy work from Presidents Character handwriting curriculum, spelling?? either Spelling Power or continue AAS3

Health: Abeka Health 5

Art: Harmony Fine Arts 5

Music: Piano lessons with song books that have popular American song such as the Star Spangled Banner etc.

Logic: ???

Bible: Still working on but probably just AWANA and whatever we look up at home.

That's what I have so far. Nothing is set in stone so far but Im hoping it will be enough to keep my daughter busy this upcoming year. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I went looking for this planning thread to see if my plan had changed since I first posted. I found another 5th grade planning thread, but I didn't post on that one. I didn't post on this one. Is it possible that I skipped dd#3 in the planning threads?  :ohmy:  :crying:

So, here's the current plan:

LA:

Spelling - Spell to Write & Read - hopefully, last time through the end lists (with older two sisters)

Writing - most likely a vintage text off Google books like Maxwell's School Composition or Progressive Composition Lessons by Brautigam, Harper, and Kidd.

Grammar - was going to be Growing W/Grammar 5 - but they've revised it & I don't want to rebuy the whole level, so probably just skip it.

Math:

Abeka Arithmetic - finish level 5, start level 6

History:

History Odyssey Ancients Level 2 (with dd#2)

Science:

Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology (with dd#2)

Foreign Language:

Latin: Continue w/First Form (only will get through Lesson 13 this year).

French: Getting Started With French (with dd#2)

Religion:

Baltimore Catechism 2 (Part 2) + Saint reports??

• Like 2