Menu

Core A or Littlr Hearts for His Glory - for K and 1st boys

pocjets

I have 2 boys that will be in K and 1st grades next year. I know I don't NEED either program but they are children 4 and 5 out of 8 so I WANT something to do with them. I have something already planned out for Phonics and Math. Which program should I pick knowing that we have a terrible library and that I want something with a Christian worldview. Thank you!!!

Core A. Do you have access to a library? I would be tempted to make sure you have done the reading from the preschool and pre-k, too. I would also get the book lists from Five in a Row and read through them even if you don't row them.

Would p 4/5 be better? We do not have access to a good library. But I can spend money on books this year.

Edited by pocjets

What's your picture book collection like? If you don't have a lot, I would actually get the FIAR collections. How old are they? How much do they like being read to?

They will be 6 and 5 by the time school starts again in August. We do have a lot of picture books but I can go look at the FIAR list and compare. I do read to them but not a ton which is one of the reasons I wanted to get something that would help keep me accountable. I normally get caught up in teaching the "big" kids so it's easy to do less with them than I want to do. 

are you wanting something extra to do with them or wanting to have an actual core spine?

P4/5 which I absolutely LOVE has some really great literature, fun things to read together, but there isn't necessarily a lot of meat to history and such. There are some good science books though which we have enjoyed. The other books do allow for rabbit trails, seeing life of a child from previous generations, some just fun to read books. Core a gets a bit more into history and cultures, but the books are longer, some a bit more serious content thwt not all kids are ready for at that age. Also I felt the lesson plans were simply telling you what pages to read from each book.

If you are ok with a bit of planning, I'd go with FIAR. There are a ton of free printables that go along with the lessons. And if there are books from p4:5 or core a you like, buy those to just read separately.

I haven't done hod, but did look at it for my 5 yo next year, but I personally know I don't have the time to fully implement it with him being the 3rd, so we are doing FIAR instead (this year I'm reading the p4/5 books to him and my older ones again), since I know my older ones will gain something from it too by doing some of the upper level activities they didn't do the first time around.

Have you also looked at what your older ones are studying and see if there's a way you can pull the younger sister into it with something that correlates? My older ones are doing zoology for science, so I've chosen the FIAR books that have animals in them and planned to do them as we study those animals so it all goes together...I'm a little crazy like that though. but I figure it all goes together so they can all work together somehow. But my older two will be 9 and 7, so not too far off in age

• Like 2

I'm doing Sonlight P4/5 with my 4 and 5 year olds.  We really love it.  They are learning lots of 'sciencey' things, character traits, Bible verses, community/social studies aspects, and we are reading great stories together.  We get out the map and find countries that the stories come from.  Sometimes we look that country up in the atlas.  There are great little activities that go along with some of the readings, and also some skills development activities like cutting, skipping, etc.  It's a perfect program for this age IMHO.

HTH

• Like 1

I'm doing Sonlight P4/5 with my 4 and 5 year olds.  We really love it.  They are learning lots of 'sciencey' things, character traits, Bible verses, community/social studies aspects, and we are reading great stories together.  We get out the map and find countries that the stories come from.  Sometimes we look that country up in the atlas.  There are great little activities that go along with some of the readings, and also some skills development activities like cutting, skipping, etc.  It's a perfect program for this age IMHO.

HTH

I'm going to take a look at P4/5 again. I didn't realize there were activities to go along with it. They love things like that!