Menu

Prodigy questions

Sarah0000

So I mixed up my son's account with my parent account and he had been playing the last few months on mine. I switched him back over to his original one, but he's pretty much starting over as far as character level, pets, and gold. Where can I go on the map in Prodigy to quickly fight a bunch of creatures to get his gold and level up a little bit? I'm not worried about messing up the math progression since I was about to move him up a grade level anyway.

Oh, also, while I've got Prodigy users...is there a way I can bypass all vertical computation problems? I don't mind letting the program lead overall, its just the vertical problems where it forces you to enter numbers from right to left is difficult to adjust to (even for me!).

Unfortunately, so far they haven't established a way to override problem types.  When I researched this, I found that they simply recommend giving your child assignments to keep them from doing what the program would naturally have them do.  That works okay as long as you are willing to take the time to sit and make up assignments...but since I don't want to give 20 of the same problem type in a row and they make you start from square one each time you create an assignment, it takes a lot of time.  I finally gave up and told them to grit their teeth and get through the crazy step-by-step stuff they were having them do.  It seemed to take an eternity, but eventually it will finally move on.

If you're trying not to do the quests for him (not sure if he gets pleasure from those--though if he already did those on your account, you can go to Flora or Bok or one of those characters and do a bunch of the quests for them), then my kids said that Firefly Forest has a bunch of low-level things you can fight quickly.

Thank you.

Yes I saw the assignments but that seemed like a pain to basically add them all to avoid a few problem types. I think maybe I'll send them a note to recommend there being a parent setting for switching between right to left and left to right. I don't know how well they respond to suggestions, but its worth a shot.

Sarah, they are actually really good about receiving suggestions from parents/teachers...but they take some time to actually implement the suggestions because the coding and developing, etc takes time.

You're not the first parent/teacher to request they switch that particular format (the right to left input).  But apparently, there were quite a few parents/teachers that had indicated they PREFERRED that input method.  I'm not sure if it's because the program was developed in Canada, and if that makes a difference?  

But definitely, add your voice to those requesting the option, at least, to input in either direction.  I know my own kids have gotten answers marked incorrect and when I looked at the assignment, it's because they input the answer "backwards".  Often, my older kids work out a solution on their white boards and then input the answer (backwards) into the game.  

You can voice your requests, suggestions, etc., here: http://prodigygame.vanillacommunity.com/categories/teacher-features  (specifically, a thread was started regarding the left/right right/left issue here: http://prodigygame.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/68/change-order-from-right-to-left#latest

As for the override...for our family, I primarily use Prodigy as specific, targeted review.  Which means I go in there once a week and assign specific homework tasks to each specific student.  I have a list of concepts that I want the kids to review on a spiral basis and I just go right down that list...choosing 3-4 topics for the week.  So my kids actually see very little of the Prodigy general curriculum.  

But...definitely feel free to suggest more flexibility in terms of what your students see when they are in the general curriculum!  I'll mention it to the Prodigy team I network with.  

There are some changes coming soon.  I'm not sure exactly what, and how much I can even say right now...but there will be some functional changes to the assignments, reporting features, etc.  They have heard many of the suggestions and are rolling out improvements in response.  Things should be more intuitive in the near future.  

It is backwards because they expect you are entering it in as you figure it out. So no... not a Canadian thing. But it is a pain if you figure it out first then go to enter it... or worse....

my kids do subtraction from left to right because we do RightStart's method of subtraction. So for my kids,it gets messed up even if they enter each digit as they figure it out! It took a LOT of explaining on why it was backwards i prodigy.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

One of the things that's been suggested, and I really hope they end up doing, is to have a separate input box for each place value digit.  That would solve quite a bit of the confusion I think and would allow for players to input left/right or right/left. 

Oh yeah that would be much easier and probably easier to change on their end.

One of the things that's been suggested, and I really hope they end up doing, is to have a separate input box for each place value digit.  That would solve quite a bit of the confusion I think and would allow for players to input left/right or right/left. 

Yes, this would be awesome.