Menu

Our local college requires Earth and Space science. Please start me out here!

We just moved to Kentucky (2 months ago) and are about to start high school.  I pulled the required subjects for the University of Louisville (20 minutes from us) and it calls out Earth and Space Science (3 total science: Life, Physical and E&S).  I then pulled the state graduation requirements and it reads the same.  I've never contemplated this,  I'm not certain that she will go to school there of course, but would certainly want this base covered.

Please start me out here.  

thanks so much!!!

So that means do Earth science or astronomy. I'd let my kid pick, buy a cheap old edition of an intro college text for non majors (I like Tarbuck's Earth Science and there are many good options for astronomy), and have them work through the text. Throw in some video lectures and documentaries to make it more fun. Field trips for Earth science. Can be a fun year.

• Like 3

This is what it says "Three credits of Science.  Credits to include life science, physical science, and earth/space science (at least one lab)"

Do you think that means either/or, Regentrude?

I interpret the requirement to mean *A* life science, *A* physical science, and *A* science from the Earth/Space field. Of course, you can easily cover both by doing a semester each. I'd do that if my student had not covered either.

• Like 1

This thread just threw me for a loop as I'm from KY and U of L is somewhere to be considered.

I know honors students from public schools don't generally do earth science/astronomy as one of their science credits, but I know they get admitted. I wonder what U of L says about the basic biology, chemistry, physics sequence - I may call them and ask. These obviously meet life and physical science, you can argue about whether they meet earth/astronomy requirements. My son will have a very competitive math/science background and high ACT so it'd be crazy not to admit him based on an earth science requirement.

Note - both U of L and UK also have a fine arts requirement.

• Like 1

Please let me know what you find out., Julie. I knew about the fine arts, but I had planned on using piano lessons (before looking into it). I don't think I can use that now, as it says history and appreciation of visual, performing. The other thing I hadn't counted on was demonstrated competency of foreign language. I hadn't planned on testing, and I don't know of any other way to do that.

On a side note, is there a statewide homeschool association?

I think the requirement is two years of a foreign language OR demonstrated competency. It's kinda hard to tell from the website.

Homeschoolers that I know have not had any trouble getting into UK or UofL and I've never heard of anyone jumping through hoops to get specific sciences or foreign language competence here in KY.

Yes, there is a statewide homeschool association for KY - I don't know much about it as very few people belong to it. They do have a best practice guidelines for homeschoolers that is followed by many.