Menu

Copywork only for handwriting?

Some recent handwriting posts have me thinking more about the how of learning to write. My daughter is almost 4.5 and can write fairly well. Most of her writing is done through copywork and dictation. We have HWOT K and she uses those worksheets at preschool too. But, she doesn't enjoy them and would much rather copy what I write. Is it possible to teach handwriting through copywork alone? If she does go to a local classical school she'll do Riggs which seems similar to Spaldings clock method. But, for now as she's asking to write a lot, do I need to bother with a set curriculum? Has anyone taught writing through copywork only?

Edited by ReadingMama1214

My daughter pretty much learned on her own.  We used Draw Write Now for a little while, but that was after she got started, and it didn't last long.  She always had correct pencil grip and mostly good form - she did start some of her letters oddly, IIRC, but mostly she did fine. Then she went on to teach herself cursive.  But she was born with a writing implement in her hand.  The other child, ugh!  Completely different story!

But I am a firm believer that not every kid needs curriculum for every skill or subject. (I never needed a spelling curriculum for her either.)  Not everyone agrees with that.  As always, YMMV or should I say "your child may vary." 

My daughter pretty much learned on her own. We used Draw Write Now for a little while, but that was after she got started, and it didn't last long. She always had correct pencil grip and mostly good form - she did start some of her letters oddly, IIRC, but mostly she did fine. Then she went on to teach herself cursive. But she was born with a writing implement in her hand. The other child, ugh! Completely different story!

But I am a firm believer that not every kid needs curriculum for every skill or subject. (I never needed a spelling curriculum for her either.) Not everyone agrees with that. As always, YMMV or should I say "your child may vary."

Draw Write Now is due to arrive any day now!

Yes, she has correct grip and has for a couple of years now. Most of the odd formation she does I can attribute to her being left handed. She'll try to start letters at the bottom, but has been self correcting to start at the top. Copywork would mainly reinforce letter form and sizing.

My daughter pretty much learned on her own. We used Draw Write Now for a little while, but that was after she got started, and it didn't last long. She always had correct pencil grip and mostly good form - she did start some of her letters oddly, IIRC, but mostly she did fine. Then she went on to teach herself cursive. But she was born with a writing implement in her hand. The other child, ugh! Completely different story!

But I am a firm believer that not every kid needs curriculum for every skill or subject. (I never needed a spelling curriculum for her either.) Not everyone agrees with that. As always, YMMV or should I say "your child may vary."

My daughter was also born writing. She's been in love with Pens and paper since an incredibly young age!

If she is forming letters correctly, or you know what to watch for to correct her, I'd say go for the copywork if she prefers it.

To my mind, the program is really more to help the parent know how to teach the child.  And once it is just a matter of practice it isn't necessary at all.

That being said, you might look at some specific things for left-handed writers.

You might also look for some copywork based writing programs.

If she is forming letters correctly, or you know what to watch for to correct her, I'd say go for the copywork if she prefers it.

To my mind, the program is really more to help the parent know how to teach the child. And once it is just a matter of practice it isn't necessary at all.

That being said, you might look at some specific things for left-handed writers.

You might also look for some copywork based writing programs.

She is forming them correctly for the most part. I've been correcting her according to the formation used in HWOT. If she does attend school, they'll use Riggs for handwriting. But since she's already writing, I don't want to hold off another 1.5yrs before correcting form.

I'm getting draw write now which does do copywork for handwriting. Is there another program that would do that as well?

• Like 1

She is forming them correctly for the most part. I've been correcting her according to the formation used in HWOT. If she does attend school, they'll use Riggs for handwriting. But since she's already writing, I don't want to hold off another 1.5yrs before correcting form.

I'm getting draw write now which does do copywork for handwriting. Is there another program that would do that as well?

You could look at some of the copywork books at SCM.  And there are some resources for free copywork books online if you use a google search they come up (try searching free copywork).  If you don't need the instruction aspect, all you really need to find are copywork books.  Searching Amazon will bring up books as well.

You could look at some of the copywork books at SCM. And there are some resources for free copywork books online if you use a google search they come up (try searching free copywork). If you don't need the instruction aspect, all you really need to find are copywork books. Searching Amazon will bring up books as well.

Thanks! I downloaded some of her free copywork selection. I think for the instruction, I could easily follow HWOT or get a Spalding book from the library if needed. She seems to do well mimicking the form and process

• Like 1

My son only used copywork. He has a desire to learn "fancy" handwriting so we are switching to copywork in Spencerian with a fountain pen. He deems this "very fancy" and thinks of himself as quite adult. I will say, using a timer when he was about 7 greatly helped. It got him past writing perfect letters into realizing that getting the stinking word written was a bit more important. He would have never learned to take notes at the pace he was going!

I only use a handwriting curriculum when they are learning to form letters. Once they can write, copywork it is. No need for a separate handwriting program is your already doing copywork. My first grader does copywork in his English program every day. I printed out the cursive version of the workbook and let him drop Pentime 3,since he's learned all the cursive letters and was basically doing copywork in that book. Now he copies the passage that we analyzed for grammar topics just learned, plus maybe a poem or Bible verse.

• Like 1

I only use a handwriting curriculum when they are learning to form letters. Once they can write, copywork it is. No need for a separate handwriting program is your already doing copywork. My first grader does copywork in his English program every day. I printed out the cursive version of the workbook and let him drop Pentime 3,since he's learned all the cursive letters and was basically doing copywork in that book. Now he copies the passage that we analyzed for grammar topics just learned, plus maybe a poem or Bible verse.

She doesn't knoW how to form all of the letters yet. She does know how to write either an upper or lowercase version of each letter, but not all letters in upper and lowercase. I was wondering if I'd need a curriculum really beyond the HWOT book and copywork. She copies fairly well and seems to prefer it