Menu

Latin translation question

Such a simple question, I'm almost embarrassed to post... I asked this on the Henle Latin group, but would like your feedback as well.

Early in Henle I (exercise 25, number 6), the student translantes into latin the sentence: The slaves are in the towns and in the forest. The answer key says that forest should be translated as plural.

Can anyone explain why? When would forest ever be singular?

Thanks,

Robin

Such a simple question, I'm almost embarrassed to post... I asked this on the Henle Latin group, but would like your feedback as well.

Early in Henle I (exercise 25, number 6), the student translantes into latin the sentence: The slaves are in the towns and in the forest. The answer key says that forest should be translated as plural.

Can anyone explain why? When would forest ever be singular?

If you figured out that "in the forest" should be ablative, I think that you're doing great. Looking it up in C.T. Lewis' Elementary Latin dictionary, there seem to be examples of this word used both as a singular noun and a plural. The answer "in silvis" seems to be more dependent on knowing something about the vocabulary word than about the grammar, if that makes any sense.

My thinking is pretty much along the lines of what Beth shared. I've seen it translated both ways in Henle. It can get annoying. I usually translate it as "forest", but use the plural Latin form. I think of "woods", and then it makes more sense. If you look on p. 65 of Henle, it reads: "Silva, ae, as you know, means "a forest"; but it is generally used in the plural and with the SAME MEANING as in the singular." (like "woods")

Henle points out a few specific words that are to be translated into the English as singular, but are plural in Latin. For ex., castra, castrorum neuter, plural - translated in English as "camp", impedimenta, impedimentorum neuter, plural - translated in English as "baggage" or "baggage train".

Henle points out a few specific words that are to be translated into the English as singular, but are plural in Latin. For ex., castra, castrorum neuter, plural - translated in English as "camp", impedimenta, impedimentorum neuter, plural - translated in English as "baggage" or "baggage train".

"Castra" and "impedimenta" are two well known specific words that are usually seen in the plural in Latin, translated as singular in English. If you read Caesar, you'll come across them constantly. According to Traupman's New College Latin and English Dictionary (Revised and Updated, 3rd Edition, 2007), "impedimentum" as a singular noun means "an impediment" or "difficulty." As a plural, it does mean "baggage." (Consider what a difficulty it is for soldiers carrying all that baggage!) The same dictionary gives "castrum" as "a fort or fortress." The plural is, as you point out, "a camp." So you will see the singular forms of both of these, but not as much as you'll see the plurals which have specialized meanings.