Menu

Recording subjects studied early

So, after back and forth and back again we think we have the plan for DS's future studies. But of course it is complicated.

He turns 12 in July. He is currently doing a mix of IGCSE (US highschool diploma level) subjects and stuff I developed. Due to various factors we are thinking starting in September he will do English, Maths and Science (at least Chemistry) through Indiana University Highschool https://iuhighschool.iu.edu/index.shtmlthough we don't think it will take six months to do every semester (though maybe for some). Therefore we will have an external, US validated result for each subject. We also plan on doing music theory exams, NLPT (Japanese language testing) and some kind of external testing for Latin. And then for history/geography I will probably come up with something.

Thing is - the plan is still to get in to a UK university, so we are really aiming to do this as a GCSE equivalent then he can do A-Levels for University entrance. HOWEVER if he was to apply to a US university, along with SAT or ACT testing I assume he needs a diploma equivalent. And I am reading that stuff taken in 8th grade doesn't count. Help! What do other families do if they have a child doing advanced subjects early but don't plan on starting university early? Should we just keep records for a highschool transcript and then do A Levels and SATs/ACT if he wants to go to a University in the US?

HOWEVER if he was to apply to a US university, along with SAT or ACT testing I assume he needs a diploma equivalent. And I am reading that stuff taken in 8th grade doesn't count. Help! What do other families do if they have a child doing advanced subjects early but don't plan on starting university early? Should we just keep records for a highschool transcript and then do A Levels and SATs/ACT if he wants to go to a University in the US?

First of all, some of the stuff taken in 8th grade typically does count. Math and foreign language is routinely carried over. Humanities typically not.

Keep records. A student who has taken algebra in 7th grade can keep taking math and get through multivariable calculus or differential equations  if he does not want to graduate early. You can do more years of a foreign language, study sciences and history at a higher level. I don't really see the problem, since there is plenty of stuff to learn, so an advanced learner does not "run out".

Take the SAT/ACT when he is in 10th or 11th grade , i.e. 1-2 years before his last year.

You can write the transcript and issue him a diploma - not an equivalent, but an actual high school diploma.

• Like 2

If you're not having to meet a state's requirements, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule keeping you from tra scripting high school classes early. In my case, we're hitting conflicting policies-one that says no classes can be put on the transcript before 8th grade, the other requiring classes named "Algebra" and "Geometry" to graduate. For other subjects, it's no problem. The regulations require specific numbers of classes...not specific classes.

• Like 3

Sorry, should have included - there is a chance that between now and applying for university there could be a gap year - concentrating on either studying Japanese or ballet - so if he does the classes required to graduate more than four years before applying AND he only does four years (does that make sense?) I am worried that there will be a gap/lack if we can't count stuff done early.

Or perhaps I am worrying for nothing :)

We don't have a state's requirements so hopefully we can just make sure that he is highly competent, and we record that he is such, and that will be enough.

I am having internet problems and can't link but UK universities do accept ACT, SAT, and AP's for admission. Generally a minimum of three. Relatively high scores.

A U.S. High School diploma can take the place of 5 gcse's. Some uni's weigh the AP exams by difficulty so need to look at where you plan to apply.

• Like 1

Sorry, should have included - there is a chance that between now and applying for university there could be a gap year - concentrating on either studying Japanese or ballet - so if he does the classes required to graduate more than four years before applying AND he only does four years (does that make sense?) I am worried that there will be a gap/lack if we can't count stuff done early.

I don't get what the problem is. He can start high school early (you can call his current grade whatever you want!), finish in four years, be young, and NOT go to college right away and take a gap year instead. you can graduate him from high school at age 16 and do whatever for two more years before uni. Just don't have him take college classes in that time.