Menu

For those of you using WWE without the workbooks

In Level 2 one of the examples used was a passage from 101 Dalmations. We had never read that book, so I got it out of the library and used passages from it for several weeks. I matched up the passages I found with what we were doing in FLL 3 (yes, we're in level 2 of WWE and level 3 of FLL -- just the way it worked out). For example, right now in FLL we're studying prepositional phrases, so I find a passage with a prepositional phrase for copywork and dicatation. We also read the book aloud. I find the passages for narration as we read -- sometimes I read ahead to help prepare.

I was amazed at how easy-peasy this was. I'm saying this as a person who loathes planning ahead, and vastly prefers scripted lessons that I can mindlessly hand to my kids. Really, it was easy once I read through WWE and tried it for a week or 2. And my dd LOVED doing it this way. She loves having the WWE assignments match up with current reading.

I am so glad I *couldn't* get the workbooks -- I'm so proud of myself for figuring out how to do this, and my child is enjoying it much more.

Edited by GailV

We've done a lot with Favorite Medieval Tales by Mary Pope Osborne. It is highly recommended in SOTW 2 AG, which we are also using this year. The book has retellings from Beowulf, Sir Gawain, King Arthur, etc and each story is easy to break up into chunks. I love how easy WWE makes this.

We're in Levels 3 and 4 here, so no workbooks, boo hoo. I just pull dictation from literature we are reading or I pull a book from the shelf and pick something.

For narration, I have them narrate history or science. They are used to being asked questions about their history or science, and we've done narrations from those all along, so it's a natural place to go for us. Plus it's nice to incorporate the writing into something we're already doing, rather than adding another piece to the day.

For narrations I have used books at The Baldwin Project (http://www.mainlesson.com/main/displayarticle.php?article=christma )

Also, I sometime use a short passage with the current read-aloud book.

For copywork - I use a portion of a narration one day. The second day I tried to find a sentence that fits with the week's schedule. But sometimes I cannot, like this week I could not find a sentence using sit or set, so I made one up.

Jill

For narration, books by James Baldwin (50 famous stories, 50 famous people) are great. We use those books along with other old books for history and narration practice. In addition, my son also narrates AESOP, folklore, myth and other types of tales from his reader. In our home, we use old readers which contain a lot of fables, folklores and myths as our reading program. So my son reads the story and then do narration on that. For first grade, try ELSON reader by Elson, A Primary Reader by Smythe, and Summer reader by Maud Summer.

Dian