Menu

Whew! Finally!

Night Elf

I started having UTI symptoms last Sunday night. I went to the doctor on Monday. The urinalysis in the office showed negative so he sent the specimen to be cultured. Meanwhile he told me to drink lots of water and cranberry juice. He didn't start me on any medication. My results came back on Wednesday and it was negative. So I emailed him and asked him what was going on because I was in pain and was still experiencing all the symptoms. I guess I should have called the advice nurse because he didn't get back to me until 6:00pm last night. So then I called the advice nurse and after lots of questions, she recommended I go to urgent care. I really didn't want to drive 45 minutes at 8:00pm so I had her make me a 9:00am appointment for this morning. After half an hour after I hung up the phone, I decided I couldn't wait and DH drove me to urgent care. The urinalysis there came back positive so he started me on medication and told me to take AZO UTI pills for the pain. I asked him why this test would be positive if the culture showed negative, and he said it was possible the test was done too early. My symptoms were only present 12 hours before I gave them the first specimen. So I got home last night and cancelled my appointment this morning. I'll probably be charged a cancellation fee because it was less than 24 hours. I just have to suck it up because there is no reason to go in now. And what's really stupid is it's $5 less to be seen than the cancellation fee, so DH said I should have kept the appointment to save the $5. *laugh* He was teasing. So now I'm on a treatment plan and hope to be feeling better by tomorrow. If I'm not better by Monday, I'll have to go back in. I hope it doesn't come to that. I didn't like the first doctor I saw. My doctor was out of the office so I had to take what I could get. He didn't listen to me and I hate that.

Hope you get some relief soon.

I would try to get them to waive the cancellation fee if they charge you.  Those are usually in place for people who are chronic cancellers.   If you call the office and explain that you could not wait, and tell them what happened, they may (and should, imo) waive the fee.   

I've cancelled while driving to an appointment, when the traffic and weather were so bad I knew I could not get there in time.  I've cancelled when my car broke down on the way to an appointment.  Never charged a fee. 

Hope you get some relief soon.

I would try to get them to waive the cancellation fee if they charge you.  Those are usually in place for people who are chronic cancellers.   If you call the office and explain that you could not wait, and tell them what happened, they may (and should, imo) waive the fee.   

I've cancelled while driving to an appointment, when the traffic and weather were so bad I knew I could not get there in time.  I've cancelled when my car broke down on the way to an appointment.  Never charged a fee. 

It's not a small practice, it's Kaiser Permanente. This has happened once before with my dd. We ended up in urgent care and they cancelled the next day's appointment and we were still charged. We did call to challenge it and it went through a review and they decided not to waive it. They're stupid. I can see just someone cancelling in general, but we were at their urgent care facility. We were being treated by them.

It's not a small practice, it's Kaiser Permanente. This has happened once before with my dd. We ended up in urgent care and they cancelled the next day's appointment and we were still charged. We did call to challenge it and it went through a review and they decided not to waive it. They're stupid. I can see just someone cancelling in general, but we were at their urgent care facility. We were being treated by them.

Yes, we have friends who have them too, and their cancellation fees are pretty much set in stone.

Those of us with PPO's have a little more luck that way, but usually pay more in the end too!