Menu

Readers for OPGFTR

I used primarily the BOB books and supplemented with Phonics Practice Readers (our library has each set bound into one book: short vowels, long vowels, blends, and digraphs) so I just browsed ahead to which one corresponded to the lesson. Beyond those, I haven't found any young readers available at our library that are arranged in any order of progression, even some of the Level 1 labelled readers have complicated vocabulary (DK Star Wars themed ones were notorious for this which frustrated me).

DS *hated* the sentences in OPGTR, he would do the word lists but thought the practice sentences were so boring he couldn't focus.

Edit: I originally confused "Pathways" with  "Practice"

Edited by misty.warden

We've used the BOB books. Progressive Phonics books. Nora Gaydos Now I'm Reading books. I've also written books for DD. Usually similar amount of words to BOB books and then she can illustrate them.

I also don't use the OPGTR sentences. I write my own and insert my daughters name. We're currently taking a break from OPGTR and doing just Bob books and phonics games.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a list for OPGTR. We used BOB books as a supplement the first time through, but I couldn't bring myself to use them with DD2 - they are SO boring. Ugh.

Instead, I used "real" books with a simple reading level (like Dr. Seuss or PD Eastman) and we would read through them, taking turns. I would prompt DD to read the words she was ready to sound out herself, and I would fill in the rest. As she progressed, she could read more and more of the text, and she loved it. It was a fun and engaging way to practice reading without the mind-numbing tedium of simple readers.

• Like 1

While there aren't any readers officially tailored for use with OPGTR, I'd use some of these books to supplement the early lessons:

• Bob books (for the very beginning reader - mostly to build their confidence of reading "a WHOLE ENTIRE book by yourself!!!!")
  • Anything by Nora Gaydos
  • Reading Pathways (although they are meant to supplement Phonics Pathways)
  • Mo Willem's Elephant & Piggie books (need to buddy read with this)
  • Mo Willem's Cat books
  • Brian Cleary's Sound LIke Reading series of books
  • I would assume that the AAR readers would be good too - but I've never seen them.

DS has really enjoyed the Progressive Phonics readers. They're popcorn style, so I read the regular type and he reads the big, colored words. Most of the stories are short and funny.

I've had a hard time finding beginning readers at the library that aren't whole language-based. PP fits fairly well with OPG; in fact, he's moving faster in PP and we're going back and filling in the gaps using OPG as more of a supplement.

• Like 1

We are using Phonics Pathways with Harcourt Phonetic Readers, Step into reading level 1, I can read (Shared My first reading), Ladybird Read it yourself level1, Real kids readers level 1(Phonics based story), US Borne very first reading, Progressive Phonics readers, Elephant and Piggie, Dr. Seuss and PD Eastman readers. Biscuit and Little's critter books are her favorite. We also use Mcguffey First primer, Elson and Treadwell Readers twice a week for reading aloud practice.