Menu

Thinking about next year...LOL

And I need some ideas.

The one thing I know for sure is that I am NOT doing Calvert again next year! I have just found too many cool resources that I would rather use instead and WHY pay that price when I am supplementing this much???

So, thus far, here are my "set in stone" plans. What I would like suggestions on is Geography, American History, Science (that holds to 5th grade CA standards) and anything that you may see "missing" from my plans. Thanks a bunch!!

P.S. I decorate for Christmas in the middle of November. What can I say; I like to be the early bird. I like to get my head around things way in advance. Hope you don't mind!

5th Grade

LLATL 5

A Reason For Handwriting

MOH 1

Singapore 4A & 4B/CWP/IP/Miquon Supplement

Critical Thinking - Level E

Megawords 2 or 3

Calvert Spelling CD (5) and possibly "Everyday Spelling" to accompany

Geography - Discovering Geography 5-6 (US focus)

American History - A Child's History of America

NOEO Chemistry II

Calvert Spanish 1A

1st Grade

LLATL 1

ETC Books 4 and 5

A Reason For Handwriting

MOH 1

Singapore 2A & 2B/CWP 1/Miquon Supplement

Horizons Spelling 1

Hands on Geography

NOEO Chemistry I

So....let me have it!

Edited by Tree House Academy

for your oldest. It covers chemistry, physics, and biology. It uses real scientific terms, so that the kids start to learn the actual languages of science. Chemistry is the strongest, and physics is also good. Biology is a little mixed, as it combines some easy stuff in with the age-appropriate stuff.

If you decided to just use chemistry, "Exploring the World of Chemistry" and "Awesome Ocean Science" would be excellent 'fillers' to make this into a longer program. "Exploring the World of Physics" also looks good.

I am trying to remember the focus in CA 5th grade standards--is it earth science? I think so. I taught earth science using field trips and science museums as well as the WTM recommendation and the Eyewitness Science earth science books. I don't remember seeing where you live in CA, but if you are close to Silicon Valley, I can give you some ideas for great field trips around here. Also, the Nevada state museum in Carson City is well worth a very long visit. They have an entire wall of the rock cycle, and the best mineral exhibit I have ever seen (although it is not all that self-explanatory. You have to notice the similarities and differences amoung the labels for the various minerals and rocks yourself.) They also have a mine to tour, and IIRC they also have some historical exhibits that we chose not to visit when we were there, since our time was a bit limited. Columbia, CA is well worth a significant field trip for gold rush history--especially during Columbia Diggins Days in May. Then you can see how the early miners lived and worked, and also how things changed in the next 10 years or so.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will have a look at them!

I actually don't live in CA. I live in TN! LOL But I think the CA standards are really good and I like to hold to those no matter what...just so we can be prepared incase there are any state tests in the future. I figure if you do it to CA standards, then you are more than good for a TN state test. LOL

Hmmm...good question...one I have asked myself a few times to be honest. Mostly has to do with my ex husband possibly wanting my son tested with a standardized test in order to evaluate how well I am teaching him at home. For English and math, I figure it is going to be a breeze. For History and Science - if we do a whole year of one thing then he takes the test, he won't know the information he needs for the standardized test...if his dad forces my hand and has him take it. If it weren't for my ex, I wouldn't be concerned one bit.

My youngest, I have no desire to hold him to any standards but my own! :)

I really don't understand tying yourself to a ps standard but if that works for you then why not use SOTW 3 and 4 for American history in the context of world history?

The activity guides have maps and all sorts of cool stuff that you can use for geography and tie it into your SOTW history.

You could also look at "Cantering the Country" I am pretty sure it is for younger kids but it may work well for your 1st grader.

SOTW or MOH 1 (both kids) ??? Is this too much given that we are also doing American History?

So....let me have it!

There were a few years where we just read a couple chapters a week of SOTW along with doing our province's social studies; was a good compromise.