Menu

Looking for a one year history/geography/culture etc.

Hazelt"nut"

I'm doing world cultures with my kids, without a set curriculum, so here's what we do...

I printed out "passports" from los banos dot com. I then printed out postage stamps from different countries (yahoo images) that we use as passport stamps.

We locate each country we are studying on a globe (or Google Earth). We read loads of library books about the country, the people, the culture, etc. We do art projects from Global Art (available on Amazon). I use Enchanted Learning for map and animal print-outs. We'll watch documentaries when we find good ones (like Australia: Land Beyond Time, which was amazing). We tie science in by studying the physical geography, the flora and the fauna of the country. We cook a meal (or two or three) based on cuisine of that region.

So far, my kids LOVE this. We just finished with Australia and are starting Africa!

I wouldn't mind. Haven't done much for Africa yet, but here's Australia.

Books:

Are We There Yet?, by A. Lester

Possum Magic, by M. Fox

Starry Tales, by G. McCaughrean

Top to Bottom Down Under, by T. Lewin

Children's Atlas of the World

Children Just Like Me, by B. & A. Kindersley

Koala Lou, by M. Fox

Down Under, by T. Paul

Ernie Dances to the Didgeridoo, by A. Lester

Expedition Down Under, by R. Carmi

A Family In Australia, by R. Browne

Rainbow Bird: an Aboriginal Folktale, by E. Maddern

Sun Mother Wakes the World, by D. Wolkstein

You wouldn't Want to be an 18th century British Convict: a Trip to Australia You'd Rather Not Make, by M. Costain

You Wouldn't Want to Travel with Captain Cook!, by M. Bergin

Videos:

Australia: Land Beyond Time

Families of Australia

National Geographic Wild Animals Down Under

Right now for Africa, we have:

Akimbo & the Elephants, by A. McCall Smith

Behind the Back of the Mountain: Folktales from South Africa, by V. Aardema

A Family from South Africa, by J. Green

Gifts of the Sun, by D. Stewart

A Zulu Family, by N. Durrell McKenna

Jafta's Father and Jafta's Mother, by H. Lewin

Africa, Y. Ayo

African Journey (video)

Little Elephant Runs Away, by W. Hanel

Somewhere in Africa, by I. Mennen & N. Daly

South Africa, V. Mace

Have you checked out Christian Cottage unit studies? Volume 2, For God So Loved the World is excellent. There is a unit for each continent or major country and each unit lasts 2 weeks to a month. The entire volume is meant to last 36 weeks. Each unit includes 4 seperate schedules for different age groups, primary, elementary, intermediate,and high school. There is also a resource list for each age group that includes, books, movies, cookbooks, coloring books to go with each unit. Each daily lesson includes vocabulary words for each age group, text, Bible, mapwork, timeline work, writing assignments, activities which include crafts, recipes, skits, games, (my ds loved the board game, Blessings and Circumstances) country reports, and for the younger age groups there are paper dolls and clothes for the various countries. Basically everything you need is there except the books and movies you choose to add but most of these can be found at your library.

Here is a typical day. For Bible we learned about how God takes care of us and even clothes the lilly of the field. Then we study about the Silk Road and map it out. We do vocabulary words that have to do with silk. We read the book Silkworms, and then the activity is to make a silk scarf. Our scarf turned out really nice and could be a great gift for mom or grandma or if you are working with a dd she may enjoy wearing it. That was one of the things I liked about the activities, they were usually things that could actually be used instead of paper and glue things to throw away. These unit studies are not badly priced and I would highly recommend them.