Menu

Frosted (or similar) window film? What do I need here?

Laurie4b

In looking at places for a reception, we found one large space that was nice.. except there is a wall of windows looking out into the parking lot. I wondered how hard it would be to cover those with some kind of temporary film that let in light but blocked the view some. 

I saw a woman did her own sidelights on her door with contact paper, but I think it would leave a residue that I wouldn't want to clean off. KWIM? 

Ideas? Links would be appreciated. Best bet would be something inexpensive and pretty easy to put up. 

Thanks!

I bought some frosted window film for a laundry room window that my dogs insisted on jumping up on and breaking the blinds on within a month of replacing them (as it faces the front of the house where UPS men and other terribly dangerous people approach . . . lol) Anyway, I put it on 3-4 years ago and it has been perfect ever since. I think it was maybe $20/roll. It is a "cling" type thing, you apply it wet, but it is NOT glued on. You could peel it off in a second flat, leaving no residue. There were lots of choices on Amazon. It took me maybe an hour to apply, but I'd never done it before. They had loads of choices, including stained-glass look things or the simple "frosted" look that I went with. I don't think anyone other than me has ever even realized it's not "real" frosted glass. 

• Like 1

Home Depot carries (or at least used to) some very nice films. We used some years ago in a couple of odd, small windows in an old house that looked like stained glass. They were very inexpensive and there was no residue. Installation took just minutes and it looked great.

You should be able to find it near the window blinds.

• Like 1

Home Depot also has simple paper shades (temporary) that stick up with a strip of adhesive.  They are 36 inches wide and 72" long.  You trim the paper to fit the window.  Maybe something like that would work?  Then you don't have to worry about smoothing on the film.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Decor-Blinds-Window-Treatments-Temporary-Shades/N-5yc1vZbt0m

We have used these in our home between moving in and deciding on window treatments, and they look rather classy.  

You could line up a few across a big wide wide window.

These are longer - 90" in case your windows are really long:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Redi-Shade-White-Paper-Light-Filtering-Pleated-Shade-48-in-W-x-90-in-L-4-Pack-1601091/202617387 

• Like 1

Sign companies that make vinyl signs can make "window wraps" that adhere to the glass and are removable. They can even be custom designed. The wall decals that are made using vinyl are made from the same material so you might be able to find solid sheets of the base material to put up. 

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/3MGraphics/GraphicSolutions/Products/Catalogue/?N=5002511&rt=c3

• Like 1