Menu

Need help from Android Tracfone users

Melissa in New York

I purchased a Motorola Moto E Android Tracfone about 6 months ago. The service date will be up in about a month. In looking online for the pay-as-you-go plans, there are plans specifically for the smartphones and generic 1-year plans with a variety of minutes.

Can I use ANY of the generic plans?

If I go with a generic 1-year-plan with 400 minutes, how will that translate into the 3 "buckets" of data, text and talk?

My previous non-smart Tracfone had triple minutes. I believe I have the same with my Moto E.

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Can I use ANY of the generic plans?

If I go with a generic 1-year-plan with 400 minutes, how will that translate into the 3 "buckets" of data, text and talk?

No, you can't use the generic plans. You have to buy a smartphone plan. At the top of the product listing page, you have to click smartphone and it will only show you the plans you can buy. If you try to buy a generic plan, it won't let you check out (BTDT, crashed the page and spent half an hour figuring all of this out because it's not very user friendly!)

The best deal I found is the automatic renewal plan for $18 for 90 days/180 mins/180 texts/180 MB (with my triple minutes for life). However, I don't use my phone that much and I have so many minutes accumulated from the last 2 years that I really only need to buy service days. It is automatic renewal but not a contract so you don't have to renew if you don't like the service. You can cancel.

• Like 1

You can buy a generic plan, that is what we have always done. But the smart phone plans might be a better deal if you do the math per MB of data etc.

So the regular plan with 400 minutes will give you 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 1200 mb of data. And be sure to look for coupon codes. They usually always have codes for the larger plans.

• Like 1

I did find out that I can use the generic plans for my smart phone. When the website says, "smartphone plans only", it means a regular tracfone cannot use it. But Tracfone smartphones can use ANY tracfone plan.

However, I am glad to find out about the value monthly plans. I'm used to clicking on the orange rectangle ("add minutes") on the right-side of the home page of Tracfone which has quite a different page layout of the plans than if you click on "Airtime" on the left side of the home page.

Two other things I did learn. 1. You can add just text or just data. It won't add service days, though. 2. The website promo codes for the larger plans aren't accepted for smart phones.

Thanks for the help!