Menu

Intro to Marketing as an elective?

2nd DS is trying to decide on an elective for next year when he's in 9th grade. His first choice was Landry Academy's Filmmaking I course, but that's full. :( So now he's talking about marketing. What texts, trade books, written output, and/or projects would you include for a semester's Intro to Marketing credit for a freshman?

No personal experience with Marketing, but below are some high school materials, and outlines/syllabi for 1-semester high school Marketing courses so you can get a feel for what makes a 0.5 credit of Marketing. The Coursera Marketing class is an overview/intro at a beginning college level, but your DS might find that a fun challenge. Coursera allows you to participate at the level you want -- just watch the lectures, or also do the coursework for peer-review.

K-12 Intro to Marketing Elective -- course for purchase, scope & sequence

- MacGraw Hill Glencoe Marketing Essentials -- textbook, teaching support (quizzes, scheduling, resources, etc.)

Coursera: Introduction to Marketing -- free college intro course, runs April 18-May 29

- Windsor High School: Introduction to Marketing -- syllabus for 1 semester class

- Haverford High School: Intro to Marketing -- class outline

- Briar Woods High School: Introduction to Business & Marketing -- outline with links to power point slides of info

- Portland Public Schools: Introduction to Business and Marketing -- syllabus, projects, video link, country study project criteria sheet

You might also look into if your student could participate with a local high school DECA group or Junior Achievement (although JA is more finances/economics based) group as part of your hours, or better yet, as a great support extracurricular.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

No personal experience with Marketing, but below are some high school materials, and outlines/syllabi for 1-semester high school Marketing courses so you can get a feel for what makes a 0.5 credit of Marketing. The Coursera Marketing class is an overview/intro at a beginning college level, but your DS might find that a fun challenge. Coursera allows you to participate at the level you want -- just watch the lectures, or also do the coursework for peer-review.

K-12 Intro to Marketing Elective -- course for purchase, scope & sequence

- MacGraw Hill Glencoe Marketing Essentials -- textbook, teaching support (quizzes, scheduling, resources, etc.)

Coursera: Introduction to Marketing -- free college intro course, runs April 18-May 29

- Windsor High School: Introduction to Marketing -- syllabus for 1 semester class

- Haverford High School: Intro to Marketing -- class outline

- Briar Woods High School: Introduction to Business & Marketing -- outline with links to power point slides of info

- Portland Public Schools: Introduction to Business and Marketing -- syllabus, projects, video link, country study project criteria sheet

You might also look into if your student could participate with a local high school DECA group or Junior Achievement (although JA is more finances/economics based) group as part of your hours, or better yet, as a great support extracurricular.

These are some great options! Thank you Lori D!

You could also try Intro to Marketing from Professor in a Box - http://professorinabox.com/?page_id=765

It's geared towards learning marketing and being able to take the Marketing CLEP at the end.  I have not used it - but we are currently using Financial Accounting from the same guy and it's quite good.

This looks good too, I'll check it out. Thanks!

You could also try Intro to Marketing from Professor in a Box - http://professorinabox.com/?page_id=765

It's geared towards learning marketing and being able to take the Marketing CLEP at the end. I have not used it - but we are currently using Financial Accounting from the same guy and it's quite good.

Just wanted to add that if you go this route the Marketing Clep exam has one of the higher pass rates so if you are interested in using Clep to support grades this might be a good first exam. We did a combo of online resources for our class, coursera etc. Used the REA study guide also. Both dc's took and passed the Clep. Just because the pass rate is high doesn't mean it is an easy exam, one of mine didn't get the stellar score they were expecting, simply passed.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that if you go this route the Marketing Clep exam has one of the higher pass rates so if you are interested in using Clep to support grades this might be a good first exam. We did a combo of online resources for our class, coursera etc. Used the REA study guide also. Both dc's took and passed the Clep. Just because the pass rate is high doesn't mean it is an easy exam, one of mine didn't get the stellar score they were expecting, simply passed.

CLEP wasn't really on my radar for him as yet, he was just interested in a course in marketing so I was checking in to our options. But it's good to know that this one might be a good intro for him to college-level testing. Thanks!