Menu

What are some of your favorite extras to add to your homeschool?

bttrflyvld

What are some of your favorite extras to add to your homeschool? Like using spelling city to enhance your spelling lessons, using a butterfly raising kit with your science lessons.  Things like that.  What have to done to make your lessons more fun and enjoyable.

We use Prodigy Math to spiral review math concepts (https://www.prodigygame.com/referral.php?referralCode=7A1E6A3262C4&referralName=Crystal%2BGracioso&referralOrigin=link).  I also use it to target a weak concept, and to take a mastered concept a bit deeper/see it from a different perspective.  

It's great...free...and the kids love to play.  We did upgrade to the paid membership, because we got a great deal during a group buy.  But the paid membership just gives extra in-game options for the player...it doesn't impact the educational content.  

The game will implement a diagnostic tool to decide which grade level your student is at and adjust as needed while they play.  You can also go in and hand select assignments from a large list of content topics.  

So that's our current fav around these parts.  

• Like 2

-Lots of kid-friendly science projects. Our favorites have been raising caterpillars, growing strawberries, and time spent with the microscope and telescope (there are lots of affordable models for kids).

-Math manipulatives to play with, especially pattern blocks, base-10 blocks, clocks, and play money.

-Field trips to museums, the zoo, the aquarium, and our local planetarium.

-Family vacations to historical sites that connected with our studies. We've visited Williamsburg & Jamestown, Philadelphia, Monticello, Washington D.C., and we were able to visit Gettysburg for the big 150th anniversary. Those are the trips my kids all remember and talk about (maybe more than Disney!).

• Like 1

audiobooks (especially through audible...Using the monthly membership, the deal of the day email, and audio discounts when purchasing the kindle book too, I have over 150 audiobooks through audible...and my dh has listened to most of them during his long commutes.)

ETA: We knocked out James and the Giant Peach today...3 hours while we packed the house for our move next week. Black Stallion, The Incredible Journey, Sign of the Beaver were some of the audiobooks listened to last week. Clementine was a recent deal of the day for 99 cents that has been relistened to three times too. During busy times like packing to move, we finish more audio books in place of family read alouds. I save my favorites for me to read aloud. For example, we have the audiobook Understood Betsy, but I didn't let them listen to it until I read aloud that one.

Edited by LivingHope
  • Like 3

We use Prodigy Math to spiral review math concepts (https://www.prodigygame.com/referral.php?referralCode=7A1E6A3262C4&referralName=Crystal%2BGracioso&referralOrigin=link).  I also use it to target a weak concept, and to take a mastered concept a bit deeper/see it from a different perspective.  

It's great...free...and the kids love to play.  We did upgrade to the paid membership, because we got a great deal during a group buy.  But the paid membership just gives extra in-game options for the player...it doesn't impact the educational content.  

The game will implement a diagnostic tool to decide which grade level your student is at and adjust as needed while they play.  You can also go in and hand select assignments from a large list of content topics.  

So that's our current fav around these parts.  

I tried Prodigy today with my 2nd grader and he loved it.  I still need to play around with adding assignments based off of what he needs the most practice with.  Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

I choose very hands-on, active curricula then supplement with games. Logic puzzles, topic-specific board games, card games, apps like Splash Math & BrainPOP... all the games!

We play a lot with math manipulatives & science tools (balance, eye droppers, measuring devices, etc). I see many science kits in our future.

• Like 1

I love everyone's suggestions so far! I would add a few more games that we love:

Blokus

Color Code

Rush Hour

Some toys that are wonderful for their addition to stem play:

Simple Machines

Snap Circuits

Cheap microscope and set of prepared slides

Also, we just received our Times Tales DVD on Monday. I cannot tell you how I wish we would have had this a year ago for my oldest. It is magic. ;)

• Like 1

I love everyone's suggestions so far! I would add a few more games that we love:

Blokus

Color Code

Rush Hour

Some toys that are wonderful for their addition to stem play:

Simple Machines

Snap Circuits

Cheap microscope and set of prepared slides

Also, we just received our Times Tales DVD on Monday. I cannot tell you how I wish we would have had this a year ago for my oldest. It is magic. ;)

We love times tales. And those games look great.
  • Like 1