Menu

CC: Does anyone feel a call to fasting and prayer right now?

I think that all our elected officials need prayers desperately, no matter what party.

Jesus was talking about demons when He said, "this kind only comes out by prayer and fasting." Not many people believe in demons these days, but there comes a time when even Jesus in the new covenant agrees with Joel (chapter 2)

12 “Yet even now,†declares the LORD, “Return to Me with all your heart, And with fasting, weeping and mourning;

13 And rend your heart and not your garments.†Now return to the LORD your God, For He is gracious and compassionate, Slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness And relenting of evil.

14 Who knows whether He will not turn and relent And leave a blessing behind Him, Even a grain offering and a drink offering For the LORD your God?

15 Blow a trumpet in Zion, Consecrate a fast, proclaim a solemn assembly,

16 Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, Assemble the elders, Gather the children and the nursing infants. Let the bridegroom come out of his room And the bride out of her bridal chamber.

17 Let the priests, the LORD’S ministers, Weep between the porch and the altar, And let them say, “Spare Your people, O LORD, And do not make Your inheritance a reproach, A byword among the nations. Why should they among the peoples say, ‘Where is their God?’â€

If fasting is good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me. I'm weak in this area, but I'm doing my best, and "in our weakness He is made strong."

Why would I answer this way? Because I believe in fasting as a way of life, not an escape for when times look troubled.

Not that I am against fasting. No, not at all. I fast a LOT. So does dh. It's a way of life in this house. And no, I'm not patting myself on the back at all, I'm just being honest about what I believe a Biblically fasted life should look like.

If you are just now being convicted of fasting, sure, maybe you ought to. I would never tell anyone not to. But discernment of when to fast should not be based on emotion, or how the electoral or financial markets appear.

If you haven't fasted in a while, there is no better time than the present. But, in the future, I pray you will be sensitve before any appearance of crisis.

~Lisa

I've been thinking about it and prayerfully considering it as well. We have company with us for the next week and a half so I'm not sure if I can inconspicuously start until after that time. I've been thinking of the verse:

Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. Hebrew 11:6

I need more earnestly in my seeking, if you know what I mean. :)

Jesus maintained his preparedness by fasting according to discernment by the leading of the Holy Ghost, not out of fear of what could be seen by the natural eye.

If you can already see the crisis, you've waited too long, or may be responding to fear tactics.

My only point is that I don't want people to do it out of fear. When the Holy Ghost leads you to fast, it generally happens before any sign of crisis, so that you are prepared when the crisis hits...so that you can help the people in the crisis!

Jesus' disciples could not cast out the demons because those go out with prayer and fasting. You don't know when you might encounter a demon, so you have to have fasted beforehand!

I'm definitely not disagreeing with fasting!!!

~Lisa

Edited by Lisa at Home