Menu

Hey Dr Hive, my elbow hurts

kiana

So last year about midyear my elbow started hurting and I went to the orthopedic/sports doctor, and they gave me a cortisone shot. They didn't really give me any rehab program (honestly they just told me to go back to doing whatever I felt like), but Dr Google did -- I followed it and it was pretty much painfree until I re-tweaked it a week ago shoveling a ditch. I'm actually not sure if I re-tweaked the same injury or injured something else because there's moderate pain on the outside of the elbow and severe pain on the inside (more of a golfer's elbow location). It's also slightly warm to the touch but only on the inside of the elbow.

Of course I immediately quit all exercises that used it, but it's been steadily increasing in pain to the point where I can't lift a book or a glass of water in that hand. I can't even wear a long-sleeved shirt because the fabric brushing against it causes excessive pain. I tried one of the braces that goes below the elbow and within 20 minutes the pain was excruciating and I couldn't even close my fingers, so I decided that was a bad idea. It's only dented by maximal dosage of NSAIDs. I called a few days ago but because of holidays they can't get me in for another 2 weeks, and there isn't really another local orthopedic clinic.

So here's questions:

1) OTC remedies? I'm icing it and taking NSAIDs but if you have any weird ideas I'll give it a shot. I'm doing my best to avoid using it in any way at this point.

2) Is this something that urgent care could do something for, or would they just x-ray it, tell me it's not broken (I'm 99.99% sure it's not, anyway, I didn't DO anything that would have broken it) and to make an appointment with the doctor?

Excruciating pain would have me headed to get looked at quickly. Did you tell them the pain level? They may recommend going to a particular ER if they have privileges there, which would essentially get you seen faster. At least you'd get something stronger than an NSAID if that's not touching the pain.

Call, explain that the pain is getting worse (that makes a difference).  Sometimes they have slots reserved for "emergencies" that will suddenly open up.  If they still say that they only have an opening in two weeks, ask if they have a cancellation list and ask to be put on it. 

BTW - it doesn't have to be a broken bone for there to be a problem.  It can be a torn ligament etc.