Menu

Memoria Press Science sequence

KeriJ

Could a long term user of MP science explain this to me?  I just want to be sure I'm reading it correctly.

Grade 4 is just The Book of Astronomy

Grade 5 is just The Book of Insects with accompanying materials

Grade 6 is What's That Bird? with accompanying material plus Tiner's Exploring the History of Medicine

Grade 7 is The Books of Trees with accompanying materials plus Tiner's Biology

Grade 8 is just Tiner's Planet Earth

what am I missing? and what is the accelerated level 8 that has 3 Tiner books? When is Nature's Beautiful Order scheduled?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a long time MP user, but I've been trying to figure out how their sequence works out as well.  We are long-time CM users, but I've grown unhappy with the lack of teacher's helps in our CM-based curriculum.  I'm hoping to transition over to MP, and with 4 school-aged DC, it's been a big task!  

You can find the Accelerated plans on the pages for the classical core curriculum sets.  Basically it's just another track for MP.  Many families found their plans too heavy for a year's time, so they created moderated and accelerated plans.  They are definitely light on the sciences, but I think that goes with Latin Centered Curriculum.  Science is covered just once a week.  I imagine that steps up in high school.

I can't find Nature's Beautiful Order either.  Maybe it's an alternative (if you've already covered one of their other sciences) or they just haven't found a place to schedule it in.  

• Like 1

MP has a standard track and an accelerated track. If you click on a grade level package you will be taken to the standard track. On each standard package grade level page there is a link to the accelerated track. The standard track was introduced last year to make the transition from 2nd to 3rd grade easier. Essentially third grade was split and a new 4th grade was introduced. When a student reaches 3rd grade, a parent has the choice to decide if the child is ready to move ahead full force into 3A or if the child needs more ramp up time and should start with 3S. Spelling, composition and math are always on grade level, but literature, history, Latin and science differ depending on the track.

That is the progression for the standard track, except that Mammals is covered in 3rd grade. Users on the accelerated track would start astronomy in 3rd and finish with Tiner chemistry, physics and astronomy in 8th. Novare Physical Science is also an option for 8th grade. They are still working on high school packages, so that sequence is not finalized. They are still deciding between the texts they used at Highlands Latin versus the Novare texts which they feel might be better suited to home schooling.

Nature's Beautiful order is not scheduled. Some users use it in place of the World of Biology which is used in the 7S/6A packages. I plan to use it in 8th.

When I started using MP products, I was very anti-MP Science, but when I purchased customized cores, science was included. We have used their birds and trees and we absolutely love them. My younger two are using mammals this year and will continue on next year. We have only used the books written by MP - we skip the Tiner books. My oldest is on the accelerated track, and I plan to switch from the MP sequence to the Novare sequence with physical science in 7th grade.

This article explains Cheryl Lowe's philosophy on science.

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/nature-science

• Like 4