Menu

Whitewater rafting

lgliser

My family is going to Colorado (Breckenridge) in mid-June and we're doing a rafting trip.  It's just an easy one - they said class 2 I think.  We've never been before.  We wanted something easy but still hopefully a little "exciting."

They said to wear closed shoes (no flip flops or crocs) and no cotton clothing, but like the dry fit material.

They said there will be a jump rock and an "eddy" (?) that they'll float the kids down.  Would that be like in a tube??

So if we'll be jumping off a rock into the river (BRRR), will we want swimsuits on under our clothes or do people just jump in fully clothed?  They said wet suits were optional but probably not needed with a class 2 trip.  But again, if we're jumping in....?

We're going at 11am and they said that would be warmer/sunnier.  But I imagine still maybe sort of chilly?  So I wonder if dry fit shorts and short sleeves, or if we will want long sleeves and pants.

Oh and I was thinking like those Keens shoes that are sort of sandal-like... they have a closed toe and won't flop off, but I imagine they'll dry faster than sneakers. 

Any advice would be super!  Thanks :)

• Like 1

Class 2 rivers won't be particularly thrilling, but will be a fun little trip.

I like wearing keens or Tevas or water shoes. You will get wet so I'd avoid sneakers.

Everyone will be in life jackets so you'll probably toss the kids in the river and let them float next to you.

For everyone, I'd go with swim shorts and rash guards that'll be waterproof, protect against sun and dry quickly. I wouldn't bother with fancy rafting gear, though the hydroskin shirts and shorts from nrs are awesome.

The rafting company will almost certainly supply a dry bag, but it's nice to have a little personal one (like a "fanny pack" dry bag for your phone/camera/sunglasses) that's right there with you.

Have fun!

My family is going to Colorado (Breckenridge) in mid-June and we're doing a rafting trip. It's just an easy one - they said class 2 I think. We've never been before. We wanted something easy but still hopefully a little "exciting."

They said to wear closed shoes (no flip flops or crocs) and no cotton clothing, but like the dry fit material.

They said there will be a jump rock and an "eddy" (?) that they'll float the kids down. Would that be like in a tube??

So if we'll be jumping off a rock into the river (BRRR), will we want swimsuits on under our clothes or do people just jump in fully clothed? They said wet suits were optional but probably not needed with a class 2 trip. But again, if we're jumping in....?

We're going at 11am and they said that would be warmer/sunnier. But I imagine still maybe sort of chilly? So I wonder if dry fit shorts and short sleeves, or if we will want long sleeves and pants.

Oh and I was thinking like those Keens shoes that are sort of sandal-like... they have a closed toe and won't flop off, but I imagine they'll dry faster than sneakers.

Any advice would be super! Thanks :)

• Like 1

I haven't been rafting in years, but I've always kept at least one pair of old, beat up sneakers around "just in case" I find myself going.  In my personal opinion, you will not want to keep any shoes that have been worn while rafting.  Except for maybe the next rafting trip. (Then again, I'm not a fan of washing shoes, in general.)

I've never gone outside of genuine Summer (bathing suit and old t-shirt), so I'm no help there.

We've done Class 2 with no guide and Class 3 rivers with a guide.  We MUCH preferred the latter, as it was actually exciting without being scary, especially with the guide to keep us from getting in too much trouble.  We just wore old sneakers. You want something that won't come off your feet if you fall in the river and the current is REALLY trying to undress you.   :laugh:

I'd check the weather forecast for expected temps.  You can get too hot if the sun is coming down on you or too cool once you are wet and the wind picks up.  It's a gamble either way.  

Have a great time!  You'll probably come off the Class 2 river ready to try a Class 3.

Class 2 is pretty gentle. Last spring, the kids and I did a tube float trip and just before the guy put us on, he's like, you'll know just where to get off, it's after the one big rapids. And we're like, ooh, big rapids, eh. And he's like, yep, class 2. And we're all like, on a tube?!? They were, indeed, a bit of something in a tube! But on a raft, it's barely a good bump. Two years ago, I got knocked out and scraped up my leg badly on a class 3. It wasn't much of a rapid, but we hit it funny or something and I really went flying. The guide clearly felt bad, but I was like, oh well. It happens.

Keens or old sneakers are fine, but if you'll be in the water, $10 cheapie water shoes are worth it, I think. A lot of rafting outfitters sell cheap ones like that in their little shops, though I wouldn't plan on that per se -just a point of information.

• Like 1

I've never rafted out west, so I have no idea how the water will be. I would think it would be really cold. I did once raft after a major storm (that was a crazy experience - thank goodness for good guides!) and the water was frigid, but it was also way too dangerous to swim.