Menu

Question about Kindle app for PC

happypamama

My daughter and I both have user accounts (through Windows) on my laptop (Dell, runs Windows 7).  I downloaded the Kindle for PC app to my Windows account (admin status) and told Windows to allow DD's user account to use and modify and everything regarding the Kindle app.  Other (non Amazon) programs that I did in the same way showed up when she logged in to her user account (which is a standard status), and she had no problem setting them up.  But she couldn't even see the Kindle app (nor the Amazon music one either, actually).  Once we downloaded them again to her user account, they showed up fine, and I was able to log in to both of them with my Amazon name and password and find our books/music.  

I don't like that I can't just have the Amazon apps show up across the user accounts like I can, say, OneNote and OpenOffice.  It seems silly to have to download the apps and books twice, but more importantly, the Kindle app on her user name and the one on mine show up as two different Kindles, and there's a limit to how many can have the same book.  We do a lot of moving between different machines and it's frustrating that my laptop counts as two devices, and so does our desktop machine.  Am I doing something wrong, or is that just how it is?

Hi,

I don't know if this applies because you listed a lot of things I am not familiar with... but I will offer this up. I use the Kindle app on my 6 y/o macbook pro. Last fall, all of a sudden, new kindle book purchases didn't download to my laptop. After going thru a few people at Amazon, we figured out that my operating system (10.6.8 snow leopard) is too outdated for updates. I still have, and can read all I purchased up to that final update that pushed me out... but purchases after that, I have to log into Amazon, and read on their cloud reader. Or I need to purchase something more updated. All purchases, before and after, are all listed so I haven't lost anything.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't know if this applies because you listed a lot of things I am not familiar with... but I will offer this up. I use the Kindle app on my 6 y/o macbook pro. Last fall, all of a sudden, new kindle book purchases didn't download to my laptop. After going thru a few people at Amazon, we figured out that my operating system (10.6.8 snow leopard) is too outdated for updates. I still have, and can read all I purchased up to that final update that pushed me out... but purchases after that, I have to log into Amazon, and read on their cloud reader. Or I need to purchase something more updated. All purchases, before and after, are all listed so I haven't lost anything.

I am pretty sure that's not an issue, but it's a good reminder to make sure things are up to date if you haven't in a while! Thanks!

I have Kindle for PC installed on this  Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) laptop.   I just launched Kindle for PC and there was a message I needed to upgrade. I believe KindleforPC is a personal account, that is not shared among users. However, that said, if you have Prime, you may be able to share books among different KindleforPC users?   The Anti Virus scan is running now, so I can't log out and try to replicate what you are seeing, at this time. Have you checked in the Amazon forums and FAQs for KindleforPC to see if what you want to do is possible?

This Dell Latitude E6410 laptop is running Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).  I have KindleforPC installed in my User Account. My account is the Administrator account.  I just set up a new User account, for DD, with Standard privs.  When I logged into her brand new User account, almost all of my Applications were showing on the Desktop, and they were also listed in the Start Menu list of Applications and Utilities.  

KindleforPC    WAS NOT SHOWN in her Standard account on this laptop.  I assume that behavior is intentional, on the part of Amazon.

Note: Your thread reminded me that I need to suggest to DD that she set up KindleforPC on the Laptop she got from my wife recently and on Amazon, that she delete her account on the Micro Tower PC she had been using for almost 3 1/2 years.