Menu

After IEW Student Writing Intensive?

mtomom

After finishing an intensive (level B here), it looks like you go on to the continuation course. However, I noticed on their pathway document that you can do continuation course or theme books.

Would the theme book carry us onward without doing level B continuation course? Does it cover the same material without dvd instruction?

What would we be missing?

Edited by mtomom

We've done swia and sicc a and this year a theme book. If this was my only intro to IEW, I'd be less than impressed. The kids got good practice in stuff they already had learned, but overall it felt pretty stagnant and even they felt they didn't learn much. I would do SICC b next time before I did another theme book.

I vote for doing the Continuation Course as well. The theme books do cover the material, but it isn't "taught" as well.

I think the theme books are great if you have watched the teacher DVDs and are planning on doing the teaching with the kids.  They would be really good if you were doing a co-op class or something like that.  If you are doing it at home then the continuation course is a better foundation than the theme books which can work really well to follow up a continuation course.