Menu

wire type question for making mini motor--confused! please help??

We are using a curriculum that calls for "varnished copper wire"  and "unvarnished copper wire" for making a mini motor.

The varnished wire is coiled around something to make a loop and is used to be the "armature (moving coil) of an electric motor."

The unvarnished wire is supposedly "thicker" and is bent and attached to the ends of a D battery.  This is to be the power supply for the motor.

Here is my problem. I really just can't figure out what this varnished and unvarnished wire is. I have insulated #24 copper wire. I have 16 gauge copper wire that appears to be bare, sold as "hobby wire" on Amazon.  Are either of these unvarnished or varnished??? It appears from google that varnished wire is also called magnet wire or enameled wire.

Can someone help me sort this out??? TIA hive!!

Edited by cintinative

To do this demo, I purchased this kit.  As I recall, the wire is already wrapped for you, which is really nice.  

ETA:  

When I google "varnished wire" I get links to magnet wire.   I'm guessing the "varnish" refers to the thin transparent layer of insulating material.  So transparent, that it's difficult to detect that it's even there. 

From the wikipedia site:

"...completed windings are often vacuum impregnated with an insulating varnish to improve insulation strength and long-term reliability of the winding."

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 1