Menu

Washington DC with kiddos

My DH has a weeklong training class in the Virginia suburbs of DC, so we're all going to tag along. Our kids are ages 11, 9, 6 and 3 and we'll be staying near Dulles due to his work. I've been to DC several times, but never with kids. I could use some advice! 

What's the best way to get from the Dulles area into DC?

I was thinking Metro, but then thought that my 3 yo would actually do better buckled in his car seat in the car than on the Metro for a long period of time. He also has an immune deficiency so it might be better to avoid crowded quarters anyway. Would it make any sense to drive to Arlington Cemetery and then take the much shorter Metro ride from there to the major tourist sites? We will have a car and handicapped tags if that makes things easier.

I want to show them the major sites - a few Smithsonian museums, the White House, Capitol, monuments. We also plan to go to Mount Vernon and Manassas National Battlefield Park ... and likely the Air and Space museum near Dulles, since we're staying very close to it.

Any other advice welcome!

Thank you! 

Farrar and many others will help you, but our favorite trick w/ kiddos is when going to the National Zoo, get off the metro one stop past the zoo. The entrance to the zoo is midway on a hill.  By going one stop past the zoo's stop, you walk (and push the stroller) down hill. When you leave the zoo, you have another walk down hill to the metro station (that is the proper one for  the zoo).

Sounds lazy of us, but little kids walking up hill, then walking all over the zoo (not to mention adults pushing the stroller) can lead to crankiness. Take all the help you can.

I hadn't read your entire post. Disregard the advice above about the metro. Search for posts about parking in DC here. Good stuff.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

You can't Metro in all the way from Dulles, although there are buses. A car would be much quicker and much cheaper. I also wouldn't bother parking near the city and taking Metro. It would almost certainly be cheaper to park in a garage all day rather than paying for five round-trip Metro rides, even short trips, and it would be quicker and easier too. We've never had trouble finding parking in DC and we always drive in when more than two of us are going instead of taking Metro. Also, there are parking apps that people will probably recommend. Just plan on doing some things in the same area each day so you can drive in, park, and not have to move the car again.

• Like 2

If you have a car and 5 people it will be cheaper to drive. There is metered parking on the mall, but I'd go for a garbage. It is faster to drive. Plan 2 or 3 days where you leave the hotel at 9:30 and stay in DC until 3 and you miss the worst traffic.

There is no public transit for Udvar Hazy. The battlefield or Mount Vernon. You can do Udvar Hazy the same day as the battlefield.

• Like 1

There is very accessible handicapped parking right near the Lincoln Memorial.  We had no problems parking (with handicapped plates) in the middle of the day two years ago.  This is the information I used, and I checked it out via Google Street View ahead of time, as suggested.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k6029844-Lincoln_Memorial_handicapped_parking-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

"There are handicapped spaces just to the south of the Lincoln Memorial, next to the Korean War Memorial. You access them from Independence Ave, by heading North on 23rd Street, then turning right on Daniel French Drive. See this map: nps.gov/nama/…NACCmap1.pdf. 23rd Street North has a "Do Not Enter" sign on it at Independence Ave, but a smaller sign under it that permits handicapped drivers (I note it because it can be a bit confusing). I'd suggest looking at the area around there using Google street view, and you'll hopefully see what I mean."

To look at other parking in DC, I use these sites.  Prices vary widely, and I am far less stressed about the whole thing if I have a plan.

http://washingtondc.bestparking.com/

http://spothero.com/washington-dc

You'll want to consider your food options too.  Check the Museum websites, as most don't allow food of any kind inside.  The Mall food vendors are outrageously expensive--was it $7? $10 for a Coke, hotdog and bag of chips?  There are food trucks which might be a nice option.  Personally, I prefer the food courts for variety and regular pricing--Union Station is great, and L'Enfant Plaza's food court is pretty new and just a block or so off of the Mall.  Check out information ahead of time--some of these food courts are not open on weekends. (I know this because I'll be there this weekend. :) )

I believe that the Natural History Museum has lockers where you can store things (for around $2), but it is intended for museum visitors.  I'm sure other museums have the lockers, but not all.

Hopefully others will chime in with specific advice about strollers.

ETA:  Just used my own advice and tried SpotHero. Found parking two blocks off of the Mall tomorrow for $10. Cheaper than the Metro (even for two of us), plus it will save us quite a bit of time.  :D  I don't mind driving in the city, I just want to spend the least $ possible.

Edited by ThisIsTheDay
  • Like 1