Menu

Owning a show dog...isn't there someone here who shows dogs?

We have one dog who is a pet. We are considering getting another puppy but this time the breeder would really like to show him. We are looking at setting up a co-ownership agreement where we keep/raise the puppy and she grooms/shows him. We pay for his upkeep (veterinarian bills, food, supplies) and she pays for his showing (entry fees, etc.).

It sounds fun, educational, intriguing.

If you have experience co-owning a show dog or showing a dog I'd love to know if there are any pitfalls we should consider!

We have one dog who is a pet. We are considering getting another puppy but this time the breeder would really like to show him. We are looking at setting up a co-ownership agreement where we keep/raise the puppy and she grooms/shows him. We pay for his upkeep (veterinarian bills, food, supplies) and she pays for his showing (entry fees, etc.).

If you have experience co-owning a show dog or showing a dog I'd love to know if there are any pitfalls we should consider!

I grew up showing dogs in conformation and jr showmanship. It was a wonderful experience. I learned a lot about respecting my elders and caring for a dog. As a adult I showed in conformation and obedience and also did a few breeding (3 total) I learned a lot about biology through planning the breeding (ie hereitary traits etc) I learned a lot about animal behavior through obediece training and I made a lot of friends with interests the same as mine. I love dog people.

With the breeder offering to pay the showing fee(which really mount up) I think this a a great deal. The breeder is going to expect you to keep the dog in top condition and if they are considering doing this deal with you they must already think that you take the best of care of your dog. The only pit fall is that the dog will be away from your family when the breeder is showing it.

You should feel wonderful that the breeder wants to do this. They must think very highly of you and your family.

My sister does this. She is the breeder and shows a dog for the co-owner. The dog lives with the co-owner. The only "pit-fall" if you can call it that, is that they decided that the dog needed more training for the ring and so she takes it to show-dog school once or twice a week. And occasionally they have the dog for the weekend when it is a show weekend. So you have to be available to let them have the dog etc.

I had a friend who did this and it was a nightmare, because she was always wanting what was best for the dog, while the breeder wanted what was best for his show/breeding program. For example, the breeder insisted on putting braces (yes, braces) on the dog. The dog suffered and was in pain and wouldn't eat, and it was awful.

I would get references from this breeder, and CALL them. A number of them. Call other people who breed and show the same breed - it's a small world and they will know him. Ask about how he treats his dogs, how he shows them, etc. Make sure you really are comfortable.

Co-owning a dog can be a great experience, and I echo all the statements Mrs. Readsalot made. Be sure to clarify with the breeder exactly WHAT type of food he/she expects you to feed, what vaccine protocols he/she wants you to follow, etc. For instance, if the breeder insists you feed this dog raw, that's a whole education in itself, and a diet with which you might not be comfortable.

Also, if you co-own a female, be aware that you will be expected to keep her intact (not spayed) for her entire show career. This means going through heat cycles which typically last a month or so, and being VERY CAREFUL around other dogs during her heat cycle. An intact female in heat is very attractive to intact male dogs and cannot be left alone, even in a fenced yard, lest love take its course, KWIM?

Sounds like a great opportunity for your family--- what breed? Keep us posted!

Astrid (who was washing and drying dogs last night at 10 pm!)

For example, the breeder insisted on putting braces (yes, braces) on the dog. The dog suffered and was in pain and wouldn't eat, and it was awful.

Yes, I was going to mention all the cosmetic surgeries that some breeders do. Personally, I don't agree with surgically altering a dog for showing, as I think it violates the spirit of the sport and of breeding to the standard, but there are a number of expensive procedures that some breeders elect to have done. If this breeder is someone with whom you have a close relationship, you might know already whether these types of things are part of the bargain, but philosophical differences such as these are very often deal-breakers in co-ownership situations.

astrid

I have a "show quality" pure breed that I chose never to show due to our lifestyle (it is rather transient). I know, I know - why did I end up with this dog? It was a fluke. Someone I knew was a breeder.

Anyway. Yes, grooming is time consuming and show fees are expensive. But don't underestimate what you will be putting out in terms of food, supplies and vet bills.

My personal feeling is that it has to do with the specialization of breeds (eg: there has been a lot of "close" breeding to get these beautiful archetypes of the "perfect" breed type) - but vet bills can get to be a wee bit costly, even without anything weird like braces. Things just go... wrong, and I feel they do so more often on pure breeds. Careful screening (and x-rays) or not.

And food. You may not be feeding raw, but you won't be feeding Purina. Maybe it's that "things go wrong" thing, but be prepared for the bag on the top shelf or from the small store.

If it's really a dog breed you've always wanted, and it is a world you've always wanted to have a foot in, why not? 1/2 has to be an easier in than going whole hog. But if you have any reservations at all, I'd refrain.

asta

(this is my second animal of this breed, and both have had problems. Completely different problems; one minor, one major)