Menu

Student news program for teens?

I think if they've grown past CNN Student News I'd just let them watch or read the actual news. My 14 year old is into the presidential elections and just reads the paper, her Bing feed, and other traditional news sources.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 5

We are fans of CNN Student News as well. I am interested in other options for high school that are more in depth  while maintaining a level of discretion (not showing piles and piles of bodies), explaining terms and institutions (CNN is doing a great job of explaining terrorist groups without fearmongering - just giving information), and avoiding giving opinion as fact.  I would like a step between CNN Student and the actual news. While I send articles that I find to dd15, I don't want to turn her loose on the news until she has more experience with logic and identifying bias - although I think she has more already than many adults! lol  

Edited by Michele B
  • Like 1

All news outlets will have some bias. The only way around that is to sample from a variety of sources. Sometimes we'll follow the same story across outlets and identify the biases----but we're news junkies and that probably isn't what you're looking for :D

We listen to NPR and BBC news, read The Economist in print, and read a variety of news online (NY Times, papers from the countries (GB, Mexico, Russia, Iran, China, Nigeria) she studies in Comparative Govt, al-Jazeera, FoxNews, CNN, and so on). Not all sources are covered every day!

• Like 2

Thanks, all.  We do get the newspaper, Time, and The Economist.  We also subscribe to Scholastic's Upfront magazine.  Since I  listen to npr all the time, so my kids hear that a lot.  But, my son had been reading the newspaper every day and found it depressing, so he's taking a break.  Gosh, I find it depressing, so I'm taking a break.  For my daughter, I want her to be informed, but I don't want to burden her with too much information yet because she's still young.  I may pull podcasts and articles that I think are appropriate, but I also want something she can watch on a daily basis over breakfast.

• Like 1