Menu

Beautiful Feet Ancients - using for 2 kids at same time?

Mom2pandc

Looking for advice as I'm a little confused since we've never used a literature based curriculum. I'm looking to use BF ancients next year for my 7th grader and I also will have a 5th grader. I'm not 100% that I will use it for both, but if I do, how does it work to have them use it at the same time? Am I destined to read it all out loud? Do I have them share the literature books? I can see that becoming chaotic to have them both using the same book to read it by themselves. Could I start the older one and have the younger start a couple weeks later so they are using different books? Also is it too tough for a 5th grader who is a good reader but somewhat reluctant?

Edited by Mom2pandc

• 4 months later...

Looking for advice as I'm a little confused since we've never used a literature based curriculum. I'm looking to use BF ancients next year for my 7th grader and I also will have a 5th grader. I'm not 100% that I will use it for both, but if I do, how does it work to have them use it at the same time? Am I destined to read it all out loud? Do I have them share the literature books? I can see that becoming chaotic to have them both using the same book to read it by themselves. Could I start the older one and have the younger start a couple weeks later so they are using different books? Also is it too tough for a 5th grader who is a good reader but somewhat reluctant?

When my older 3 were hsing (I have graduated them all and they have their lives now) and we used the lit approach or unit studies we always did the reading as a group, passing the book around for each to share in the reading. I guess it all depends on your children. We enjoyed the time together and they could listen well. 

The 5th grader....Pharaoh's of Ancient Egypt is slightly on the tough side because each chapter is a different Pharaoh. It is a lot of info to take in so quickly. A. C. World jumps around in events/people but the writing style is engaging. All in all, I do think your 5th grader would do well, especially if the reading is shared between you 3. 

Have them each do their own written work of course. 

• Like 1

What pp said. We did same thing and my older ones are all grown. They still remember the sweet times of the bf passing the book around taking turns, including me. The shared reading approach is recommended by many.

They still remember what they learned too.

Just do it like its a small class lol.